Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 06-09-2005 , 07:35 AM

Cutting out part of surface

Hi!

I've created a polygon cylinder, then I copied and pasted it and scaled it a little bit down, so that it's inside the first cylinder.
Now I want to create some kind of trap or door, so that I can open the cylinder and look inside. The door should then have some kind of hinge, so that I can animate the opening door.

When I just create a cube, place it where I want the trap and do a boolean difference operation, then there would be a hole, but no door and there would be a space between the 2 cylinders. There shouldn't be a space, because the inner cylinder should act as the inner wall and the space between the 2 cylinders should be filled, or at least the edges where you can look in, when the boolean operation was performed.

Is there any operation where I can cut out a part of a surface, or split a shape into 2 parts?

I hope I explained it clearly enough.

thx,
m0m0

# 2 06-09-2005 , 07:56 PM
Subscriber
ok, well duplicate the the cube, then select the outer cylinder then boolean the cylinder so ur left witha hole, do the same with the inner cylinder, then combine them both, then select the edges of the hole on the outer cylinder, then extrude them inwards, then snap the verts to the same places as the inner cylinder, then merge them. (sorry duplicate the cube 3 times) then change the thickness of the third cube so its door thickness user added image then u got it. make some hindges and its all done (if u get what i mean user added image, if not ill make it in maya and duplicate it every step so u can look at all the stages)

Matt

# 3 06-09-2005 , 08:14 PM
Hi!

I tried it serveral times, but I don't get it done. Could you please make the step-by-step tutorial?

thx,
m0m0

# 4 06-09-2005 , 08:25 PM
Subscriber
ok where do you want the hole? top or side?

# 5 06-09-2005 , 08:39 PM
Subscriber
ok i did it on the side,

https://uk.geocities.com/cook_the_kids/tutorialthing.zip

its prety simply, just boolean a from b (select the cylinder first then the object which will create the hole) the first one (closest to middle of grid) is just the basic shapes.

2 = combine inner and outer cylinder then select the cylinder and then the box then boolean

3 = deleted the extra polys stopping you from seeing inside

4 = 3 but with a cube as a door

5 = 3+the 2 combined cylinders, then boolean one from the other to get a curved door.

6 = cylinders with curved door

hope this helps user added image

# 6 07-09-2005 , 07:59 AM
Hi!

Thanks, it helped a lot!

cya,
m0m0