Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 06-09-2005 , 05:10 PM
Subscriber

Nurbs Attaching Problem

I have been working on the rear end of a Porsche Boxter and I cannot get all my surfaces to attach right. I have detached and re-attached so many times I'm about ready to pull my hair out.

Every time I re-attach a surface, it changes the uv count of the original geomerty. Consequently, when I go to attach this new surface to yet another, the CV's don't match and it tweeks out uncontrobally. I have tried rebuilding using Match Knots, but the rebuild is just as tweeked out.

Can someone out there explain to me why my ispoarms line up beautifully, yet my UV count is way off, and how to change it? What can I do do keep surfaces from changing as I re-attach them?

Thanking you in advance,
Phil

PS: I have enclosed an attachment of the rear of my car. The Top section has a uv count of 5-14, the middle is 3-20, and the butt piece is a whopping 7-36, yet all my isoparms line up great. (????)

Attached Files
File Type: mb boxstertrunk.mb (39.7 KB, 186 views)
# 2 07-09-2005 , 02:57 AM
From what I can see initally

1. You have different normal directions for your nurbs surfaces, to find out their direction click on the surfaces you wish to join and go to Display -> Nurbs Components -> Normals.
To fix this you need to use Edit Nurbs -> Reverse Surface Direction -> Option Box and choose either U V or both depending on the values of your surface.

2. I'm not sure wheather you know but just in case you don't to join two surfaces you need to have either the same amount of divisions on the surface or at least one side have multiples of two of the other side.

Adam