Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 27-10-2005 , 12:02 AM

Particles to surface

I'm trying to create a surface from a set of particles emitted within a container. Does anyone know how to the take these particles and create a surface from it? is there anyway to link these particles to a surace so I can track can track the particles movements in surface format.

# 2 27-10-2005 , 12:10 PM
AFAIK you can't create a surface from particles, but you can set the surface as a goal for the particles, and use smaller pieces resembling the surface as a particle instancer. As for the surface, you could animate a ramp on it's opacity if you want it to gradually appear.

# 3 27-10-2005 , 11:32 PM
Unless of course you mean the blobby surface particle type... which case the particles kinda blend together to look like a surface.

user added image

# 4 31-10-2005 , 06:00 PM

close

No, not trying to use "blob" shapes. I've seen it done...

https://www.kokkugia.com/

go to projects/it collins

but not really sure how it was done. I know that you can manually go in and create isoparms across each row of particles, but that takes forever, didn't know if anyone knew a faster better way.

# 5 01-11-2005 , 09:36 AM
You can do it with fluids, but as for making a surface out of particles that's quite hard and would require MEL scripting. You would have to get the positions of each particle (not hard) and then go through them creating surfaces using the particle locations as vertices. Now this is a lot harder. especially given the fact that his seems to be one continous surface....

good luck

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 6 01-11-2005 , 03:01 PM

How?

How can you do it with Fluids? I've tried but no luck yet.

# 7 01-11-2005 , 04:09 PM
i dont know the exact setting but you can change the output type to surface.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB