Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 76 03-11-2005 , 05:35 PM

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
2. tracking
3. Render Support

What goes on in these jobs, specifically number two.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....

# 77 03-11-2005 , 05:46 PM

Originally posted by magicsy
is Zbrush worth buying? i mean is it better or easier than adobe?

Ya its worth buying. Its awesome. user added image It lets you do all kinds of stuff that would otherwise be impossible or very hard to replicate in maya.

Better or easier?.. well just totally different and fulfills a different function. I found Z-Brush pretty ez to learn.

Adobe photoshop is still an invaluable tool.

# 78 03-11-2005 , 05:50 PM
tracking is when they take the live action plates that have been filmed and they create the maya cameras that mimick what was filmed. There's also body tracking which is where we need to place geometry that is animated to follow an actor. Say for example we wanted to add wings to a character we need to body track some geo in there so we can place the wings "behind" the live action actor (without rotoscoping).

render support is exactly what it says on the tin, it's making sure the renders go through on the farm. It's shift work and it's not an easy job. Good for techy people and people that want to get shouted at a lot user added image these guys do a thankless task but they're essential to the productions.

The average length of time in these positions is 9months to a year generally

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB

# 79 03-11-2005 , 06:19 PM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
it probably depends on which industry you're wanting to get in... games? We LIKE the big robots and super heroes, sci-fi vehicles, guns, monsters, etc. on a reel. Just so long as they are original (ie... not ANOTHER X-Wing...).

After all, in games, more often then not, that's the stuff we're making. user added image

Oh, yeah this sounds REALLY great for me!!!!

# 80 03-11-2005 , 07:16 PM
Subscriber

. .There's also body tracking which is where we need to place geometry that is animated to follow an actor. Say for example we wanted to add wings to a character we need to body track some geo in there so we can place the wings "behind" the live action actor (without rotoscoping).

Alan,

Is body tracking possible in Maya, or do I need another piece of software for that?

Cheers
Paul

# 81 03-11-2005 , 07:57 PM

Originally posted by mtmckinley

New challenge should go up soon.

you keep saying that ... even the title of the thread is the same ... but soon = 3 days have passed

https://www.imageocean.net/
Free Photo Hosting!

# 82 03-11-2005 , 08:20 PM
Look, i'm all for the realism idea. I don't agree for anything else user added image! Not to give anyone any perosnal advantage, or any other person any disadvantage. This will let them work in MAYA more! Like, you might not want to spend HOURS in photoshop! ANyways, i have no clue what I am saying, but I still hold my opinion for realism.

Cheers, user added image
,Matt user added image

(haven't done that in a long time :p)

# 83 03-11-2005 , 08:26 PM

tracking is when they take the live action plates that have been filmed and they create the maya cameras that mimick what was filmed. There's also body tracking which is where we need to place geometry that is animated to follow an actor. Say for example we wanted to add wings to a character we need to body track some geo in there so we can place the wings "behind" the live action actor (without rotoscoping).

render support is exactly what it says on the tin, it's making sure the renders go through on the farm. It's shift work and it's not an easy job. Good for techy people and people that want to get shouted at a lot user added image these guys do a thankless task but they're essential to the productions.

The average length of time in these positions is 9months to a year generally

user added image
A

OK, I knew what tracking was but wondered if it was something else in this case because it didn't seem like an entry job.

Also, why only 9-12 months? I guess its not to tie them into anything long term. But if they find some good staff do they keep them permanent?

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....

# 84 03-11-2005 , 08:39 PM

Originally posted by Supra Devil
you keep saying that ... even the title of the thread is the same ... but soon = 3 days have passed

We've been discussing and finalizing ideas for the next challenge as well as judging last month's challenge in the mods forum. Just have a little patience, it will be up soon.user added image

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."

# 85 03-11-2005 , 09:10 PM
I think we should make fairies!

<font size=3 face=arial color=blue>S U R F E R M C D </font><br>
<font size=2 face=arial color=blue>www.winteractiv.com</font>

# 86 03-11-2005 , 09:24 PM
The Maya Mountain
genius! user added image

# 87 03-11-2005 , 10:31 PM
Subscriber
Didn't a fairy win the last one . . you know the Baby one user added image

# 88 03-11-2005 , 10:50 PM
yes, the lighting challenge.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."

# 89 03-11-2005 , 11:04 PM
Subscriber
BRAVO!!!! Faries would be fantastic!!! They dont have to be just humanoid you can mix more than elf looks with them. Also the guys that want realism can have that and the ones that would like the fantasy can have that to. Some of you want biomechanical make the fairy have cybernetic half whatever else.

BRAVO BRAVO!!!!:attn:

# 90 03-11-2005 , 11:29 PM
fairies?
Sound looks bit dificult.

Last edited by Stormgetto; 04-11-2005 at 01:17 AM.