Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 03-11-2005 , 01:26 PM
Technical Director
Yeah that would be cool. I know roach and I are here in Toronto so it could work. Id be up for that. user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 17 03-11-2005 , 02:09 PM
Soinds good man, the only thing that would put me off is the price being a very poor student.

On another line why dont you guys do a e-book?? Kinda in PDF format with tutorials and explanations for the workflow and the different techniques??

People could then post questions regarding the book (like in the vid section) and you could answer them?

Just a thought.

# 18 03-11-2005 , 02:24 PM
Im only about a hour away from toronto....

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 19 03-11-2005 , 02:30 PM
One idea, and probably a better way to reach more people, is to set up some sort of netmeeting situation where students could which RT-video of the instructor going through things and ask questions in chat at the same time. A curriculum could be developed beforehand with assignments for the students, which would then be critiqued and expounded upon for the duration of the course.

Otherwise, I can see it being much more expensive because:

a. Most of the folks that would be teaching have demanding FT jobs already so if it was something like an intense week-long course, he would have to take that week off from work (not feasible for some during crunch times) and would of course have to be compensated for the amount of time.

b. SM would also want to make some money from this which means you add that on top of what the artist is getting paid.

c. The logisitics of people flying in, getting accomodations, eating, etc. may be too expensive for most of the folks on the board, even if SM worked out some kind of package all-inclusive thing. This leaves lessons to mostly local folks so it becomes more like a local MUG meeting.

Even the first idea has its problems...bandwidth...the user having the software to connect with....etc. Just some real-world things to think about.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 20 03-11-2005 , 04:08 PM
The Maya Mountain
That's all very true. Another complication of real-world classes is... buying the educational licenses for Maya, renting the space involved, buying/renting projection equipment, computers....

One possibility is to do some kind of partnership with a school (or even with Alias) who provide the equipment and classrooms.

Here in Austin, about a year ago or so, conceptart.org had a big "expo" kinda thing, where they had their bigwigs each presenting courses and so on. I think the entry cost was something like $400-500 US, not including plane ticket costs, hotel, transportation, etc. They managed to get a couple hundred people all crowded into this relatively small space. It was freaking HOT in there. lol

But that kind of thing IS possible, given the public's interest is high enough.

# 21 03-11-2005 , 04:36 PM
Subscriber
As for food, just work something out with Kevin user added image

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 22 03-11-2005 , 09:04 PM
Technical Director
The students could just use PLE

# 23 03-11-2005 , 09:31 PM
Subscriber
if this happened in the future I would be happy to do some training.

Would it be a good idea if this was like a 2 week intensive course and say we had 5 tutors have each one 2 days in a row so the learners get a welth of knowledge?

If this happens I would like to see it happen in Toronto as thats where I am goin to be moving in 2 years

# 24 05-11-2005 , 09:32 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Well lets just watch this space...

Jay

# 25 05-11-2005 , 11:50 PM
SM Tea Boy
I've talked to Jay about this. I'm away now till the 17th but after I come back hopefully we can get this of the ground.

David

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 26 05-11-2005 , 11:52 PM
Subscriber
nice one David, any ideas on where this will be set up? UK or overseas?

You know where to find meuser added image

# 27 05-11-2005 , 11:56 PM
SM Tea Boy
UK at first we'll probably do a 2 day introduction course to test the water. I'll grab ya when i get back from holiday mate. If your interested in instructing I'm sure we can work something out.

Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 28 06-11-2005 , 12:08 AM
Technical Director
Well here in Toronto, my dad has a 800 square feet area that we could use for free. Kurt and I could go and teach there. And its only a block away from alias' HQ. We could get some sponsor ship there maybe user added image

# 29 07-11-2005 , 05:13 PM
Subscriber
I'd definitely be interested in something like that, actually, I've been thinking about it for a while but never brought it up. I'd definitely think about going if it was in the GTA.

# 30 08-11-2005 , 12:17 AM
Technical Director
Yeah. All you guys would have to bring were some computers. user added image