Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 22-12-2005 , 10:23 AM

Futuristic City - 3D Matte Painting

Inspired by the d'Artiste Matte Painting book, I thought I'd give a stab at this stuff as well. Got the layout and lighting pretty much done. Still lots of color detail to paint.

user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 2 22-12-2005 , 10:27 AM
Nice start. user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 3 22-12-2005 , 12:38 PM
Subscriber
Look good so far. How do you do something like that? where do you start?

Cheers
Paul

# 4 22-12-2005 , 02:19 PM
Well as this is a 3D matte painting I started just like any other project: by modeling the stuff. As far as rendering goes, I only render different kinds of light/shadow/etc masks and paint paint the colors in photoshop. The textures you've seen so far are painted in photoshop too but I think I won't do the whole pic that way... not sure yet...

user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 5 23-12-2005 , 06:37 AM
have you studied architecture? cause that's something I really like
buildings, urbanism, design, graphhics... go on just like that !!!

a nice bridge would be handi for the habitants....

# 6 23-12-2005 , 06:40 AM
owh I see.. the future.. no bridges needed : they'l fly over just like that

# 7 23-12-2005 , 08:44 PM
Subscriber
I like what you have so far, but as you said, you still have a lot of tecturing to do. Also, I kind of expected more skyscrapers in the forefront. Also, a lot of the buildings in the forefront seem very generic... almost too generic....

# 8 04-01-2006 , 12:16 PM
Subscriber
i agree with Kartzan. I like the design in most of the buildings, but a bit more variety in the middle area, especially in the height of the buildings will make the layout a bit more interesting. It seems odd to have all of the buildings either identicallly small or similarly tall, unless the setting is supposed to be very uniform.

What I lack in skill I make up for with enthusiasm.
# 9 04-01-2006 , 03:31 PM
A certain level of uniformity was actually intentional. I don't want to draw too much attention to the buildings themselves as I propably add some kind of space ships on the sky or something... Thanks for the comments though...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 10 04-01-2006 , 08:05 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
No this all looks fine to me. I think once KB has done the texturing, the uniform aspect of the buildings will be gone and blended into the image unoticed which is the case with this type of work. Ive recently got hold of 'Creating the worlds of Star Wars in 365 days' book, and it show alot of 3d renders of the cityscape stuff, you'd be surprised at the uniform and duplicated objects, but again these go unoticed in the final frame

Its worth going to www.dusso.com to see this type of work at its best, the artist is Yannick Dusseault, who has recently posted up his Star Wars EpisodeIII, 3d Matte work. The originals were done at a staggering 25,000 pixels across.

Im waiting for my copy of the book D'artiste Matte painting to arrive so I'll be doing this stuff this year as well as character modelling still.

Best regards
Jay

# 11 05-01-2006 , 08:31 PM
Thanks Jay. The only thing I need right now is a bit of motivation to finish this user added image

Btw the Matte Painting book is ultimately a really good book. At first I was just blown away by the awesome pics. Then I was kinda disappointed by the tuts. But after reading through them a few times they really rock. There are no from start to finish step by step tuts but the pointers they give are worth the buy alone. Let alone the inspiration the pics give...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 12 05-01-2006 , 09:14 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Well the Dusso stuff should be enough for motivation and Im looking forward to the finished job too:bandit:

Kind Regards

Jay

# 13 05-01-2006 , 09:56 PM
great piece so far kbrown, it'll be good to see how you build it up and finish it user added image

I'd like to get into doing stuff like this - is there a market in anything other than flims? (and backdrops for 3D cartoons as jay has done?)

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 14 07-01-2006 , 03:17 AM
Oh I almost forgot.. Big thanks to Björn aka santa for modeling some of the buildings (mostly seen in the background).

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 15 07-01-2006 , 07:52 AM
hey looks pretty nice user added image just one thing to change could be the river that runs throught the midle of the foreground...it maybe looks like the water is too 'big' and hence changes the scale of the city. To me it looks like either the city is about to flood or it is a miniuture. other than that its comin along nicely!