Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 22-02-2006 , 04:11 AM
thats really cool!

I personnally at the moment feel incapable of that style of cartooning so I end up with cartoony charcters with detailed objects around them

# 17 22-02-2006 , 06:52 AM
Subscriber
I love the wonky cartoon style you have, nice one.

Cheers,

Mat.

# 18 22-02-2006 , 08:34 AM
Subscriber
yeah great style! looking forward to seeing more....i hope u will be including some kind of lazer lights to protect that. :attn:

# 19 27-02-2006 , 02:10 AM
Subscriber
Really nice. can't wait to see final movie. sound like a lot of fun. Also thanks for commenting on my project.

Cheers

Gatzalf.

If god created the world. then it is my turn now.
# 20 28-02-2006 , 08:07 PM

Back again

it's been a few days since i last updated but here we go...

I took a break from the modelling side of things to focus on rigging, (the institute had a visit from some guys from codemasters that inspired me to get the animation started, or at least set up the character).

The rig is now finished and to test it i crudely skinned it to my low poly character (no weights or flexor deformers yet).

so here is the first test of the rig...the stairs pose!!!

user added image
user added image user added image
user added image

# 21 28-02-2006 , 08:43 PM
Nice, looking good!!

Cant wait to see more!

# 22 03-03-2006 , 01:09 AM
thought i'd return to modelling, time for some chainsaw action!

this'll be my last post for a few days as i'm taking a short break with some mates to the lovely city of Edinburgh.

user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image

and a short turnaround. WARNING for dial up users the file is about 7Mb in size

www.rostoons.co.uk/movies/chainsawturnaround.mov

# 23 03-03-2006 , 08:37 AM
Subscriber
great detail and nice n smooth. love the turn around well done pal!!
P.s thanks for the comments on my mp3 user added image

# 24 08-03-2006 , 03:50 AM
I like your scene idea. Maybe a suggestion, since you made the doors a cool shape other than the normal rectangle and are going for the cartoon look, make the windows crooked, and the stairs more dynamic and cartoony.

Great work. Keep it up.

# 25 12-03-2006 , 12:02 AM
thanks everybody for the kind words...

regarding the windows, i'm not going to change the skylight windows in the museum as they are going to be important in the film.

however, i will be adding some 'wonky' windows to the bedroom scene which is currently in development.

I have been working on the film, although my updates haven't been that frequent (will change in the coming weeks).

so for all those that are remotely interested, i'm currently at the skinning stage which results in a lot of :headbang: and :angery: so i thought i'd share my happiness by posting some screens of my lovely rig.

user added image
user added image
user added image

# 26 23-03-2006 , 10:02 PM

Back to Modelling

Righto, the skinning is finished and between setting up animation tests i've decided to get the bedroom scene modelled before my assessment on Monday.

This'll be the third attempt, the first being a detailed animatic version, the second being an awkward attempt at a cartoon style as seen here:

user added image

This is the third (and hopefully final) attempt thus far. Still got a bit to do but intend to get it finished by monday.

user added image

As always Crits are welcomed :p

# 27 23-03-2006 , 10:33 PM
Subscriber
Hey there Rostoons,

what was wrong with the awkward cartoon style (apart from the obvious, that it was awkward)? As a viewer, I think the third one is good but the awkward one is better.

# 28 23-03-2006 , 10:37 PM
cool work , i wish my parents afforded to send me to a 3d school / university to learn maya. My dream that one day i will be part of a team modelling for a film but i think this will never happen user added image

Keep up the good work. user added image

May the force be with you

MSN: markjborg@hotmail.com

My Official Portfolio

Mark Julian Borg
# 29 23-03-2006 , 11:17 PM
Happymat

Personally i think the cartoon style comes across as being a bit too forced, more so than the following scenes. Also I think it comes down to personal preference. The room is used as a 30 second setup for the character's motivation to rob the diamond (the room is to be filled with newspaper articles on famous robberies) mainly added to satisfy my dissertation (don't ask) and I decided to have it a bit more serious in tone than the remainder of the film.

Thanks for the crits though, i'm probably going to have a fiddle with it and stylise it a bit after the 'foundations' are laid.

Masteryoda

Thanks for the kind words, and without sounding too corny, don't give up on it. There's always a way somewhere, just keep practising. What i've learnt is that animation companies don't really care that much about education, more about talent, and many studios will train people to use the software if necessary.

Update:

user added image

# 30 24-03-2006 , 03:16 AM
Very nice work, and lots of it too!

I was looking at your character's skeleton to see what techniques you used. Tell me, what are you using to hold the eyes in place or are they a part of the model's face? Also, I noticed the 2 extra bones at the hip joint. Is this to help you simulate a pelvic so the character can walk with a swagger? I also noticed that you used bones on the spine to give you something to bind the skin to. Sort of like ribs. Do you find this necessary? I've tried that technique and found that binding the skin directly to the spine, without the extra "ribs", worked very well for me. To be honest, the extra bones that I used created a skin weighting nightmare.

I like your work very much user added image