Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 27-02-2006 , 12:55 AM
Subscriber

small cute creature.

well thiss is my first model that starts to look like something. also tryed making a car but i have not finished that yet. I am tottaly new to maya. I made thiss one using the free tutorial about making a dog. Together with 3 books about maya i was able to make thiss. Now i will try to make a claymodel render. If i can find how somewhere. Then giving him feet and maybe some other things. Textures, animation, sound and such. I have only 2 days a week to work on it. So it will take a while until thiss is fully completed. I want to make thiss one really really cute. The drawing is made very small. I was just Drawing things on paper while waiting, not knowing i might draw something nice. It looked cute so i tryed to make a model of it. thanks for viewing and hope i get some comments and maybe some suggestions to improve myself.
user added image
user added image

If god created the world. then it is my turn now.
# 2 27-02-2006 , 01:51 AM
nice start there, it certainly looks like the reference pic. looking forward to seeing some renders

# 3 28-02-2006 , 02:56 AM
Subscriber
Thanks. I am trying to find out how to create a texture on it. don't know how to make a UV i can use in photoshop.

# 4 28-02-2006 , 08:21 AM
you can start with:

(1) window --> uv texture editor

(2) select the model --> polygon UVs --> automatic mapping

(3) in the uv texture editor: polygons --> UV Snapshot

(4) adjust the size, Image Format and File Name --> Press: OK

(5) Open the Image File in Photoshop and paint your texture

(6) In Maya: Create a Material: For Example --> right mouse on your model --> Materials --> Assign New Material --> Blinn

(7) In the Blinn Attributes click on the chess board (black and white button) - next to "Color"

(8) In the "Create Render Node" Window that pops up: select File --> The Attribute Editor Window changes

(9) In the Attribute Editor Window select the small Folder Icon next to Image Name and choose your texture

(10) Click in the persp Window and press '6'

(11) Render your first texture

hope this was helpful and not too confusing

mfg

my english makes me nobody so fast after

mein english macht mir keiner so schnell nach
# 5 28-02-2006 , 02:00 PM
if yer UV mappin polys then go onto mike's site he has a sweet tutorial which will show u exactly what to do, and in a bit more of an productive way than automatic mapping.

# 6 28-02-2006 , 02:23 PM
a really quick effective way of doing a clay type render (no textures) is the following(im not sure if it is just in maya7 or not)

make sure there is a plane below ur character

select all objects in scene and place in a render layer.

select this layer and right click hold over the flag icon, select presets and occlusion.

as long as u have ur render layer selected then ur objects should look black

click the sphere icon on the layer-the arrow by the out color and bump up the samples to 32 or more depending on how long you want the render to take..then render away...any problems gettin this to work let me know but it makes your models look the nuts without havin to deal with lighting and textures.

# 7 01-03-2006 , 03:55 AM
Subscriber
Wauw. thanks all. Thiss will help me a lot. Ill keep working on it as much time i can spare. But i think the most work will be done in the weekend. Again thanks for the great help.