Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 14-05-2006 , 12:46 AM
Very nice model!!

As for rigging; you don't really have to use a skeleton if your model is made up of seperate pieces and you just want to do forwad Kenetics (FK). Looking at it, I'd say it is a bunch of seperate pieces. You could start by parenting the pieces to form a hierarchy. Example you could parent the foot to the lower leg, the lower leg to the upper leg, upper leg to the pelvic, the chest to the pelvic. Do the same to the parts of the arm then parent the upper arm to the chest... You get the idea. Now, all you have to do is reposition the center of rotation for each model part to the point that you want them to rotate on. Choose a model part then choose the translate tool then press INSERT. Insert lets you move the center point. After you move them all to where you want them turn INSERT off. After you do all that, you can rotate any joint you want and your robot will be posable...

If you want to use IK solvers with the model then you will have to use a skeleton.

# 17 14-05-2006 , 02:13 AM

mentalray template

ctbram, in regard to the mentalray template - i did make this myself and used on a project that i've been workin on. the reason you are gettin issues with it is simply because i didnt 'clean' it out properly - lol.

so i've have now done a better job of the clean out and uploaded a new template for ya...

https://dhost.info/tiddles/mentalray.zip

hope this gives u less problems. sorry for any inconvenience....

# 18 14-05-2006 , 02:27 AM
No problem mate. I am grateful to finally be able to make decent renders.

Just for curiousity and to save myself future headaches, what needed to be cleaned to stop the behavior where it always asked me to save when I closed maya even if I just did a manual save?

# 19 15-05-2006 , 09:06 AM
Sorry for the late reply - I’ve been real busy user added image

In regard to Maya asking you to save even after a manual save is a mystery to me also. user added image

The scene was used for several renders with a design I was trying to setup. The strange Maya behavior doesn’t happen with that project file - only with the hurriedly clean-out version I 1st sent you.

To fix the 'faulty' scene, I simply selected the floor, back wall, both lights & the 3 nurb shapes - then exported selection. The newly created Maya file seemed to behave itself.

I know this doesn’t really answer your question, just letting you know what happened…

PS: Any more progress with the model??

# 20 16-05-2006 , 05:06 AM
Thanks T!

I made a series of 31 renders for a jerky but lower memory consumption round table. I will post it as soon as I get back to my system and can set it up on my webhosting server.

I just started a summer internship sponsered by the NSF and this week is orientation.

The next thing I want to do is try to rig this model. I have never successfully rigged, textured, or animated anything I would like to give it a crack with this model.

I am trying to find some information on rigging a mech like character. It seems rigging with either rigid or smooth bind would have problems.

As for texturig ... I think I would prefer having my tonsels removed though my anus then unwrap uv's but I am going to bite the bullet and do it on this guy.

I'll be sure to keep ths thread updated as I progress; although there kight be a lag for the next week.

I am going to post the model on my site if anyone is interested in downloading it. Feel free to use it in anyway you wish.

# 21 16-05-2006 , 06:06 AM
as I said before, don't bind the pieces in either a smooth or a rigid bind to a skeleton. simply put the pieces into the appropriate place in the skeleton heirarchy, and everything will work great.

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com