Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 27-06-2006 , 08:35 AM

Alpha Channels

I am working with maya 5. I have a little problem with my rendered output. When i take my renderings into a compositing software like AE, it doesn't recognize the alpha channels. I had checked the Alpha option in the rendering globals window and I have tried it with IFF and AVI formats. Am I missing something or is this a bug?

# 2 27-06-2006 , 03:09 PM
Subscriber
avi dont do alpha

i generally use traga for this
also i have had problems with alpha an adobe products an found that update from their site fixed it
look foe AE patches to see if there is an alpha 1

soz for not being much help
good luck

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 3 28-06-2006 , 06:54 AM
Actually, AVI work with alpha. I have done an alpha rendering from AE and used it to remove the background in Premiere. It works. The problem is the maya render.

knock, knock
# 4 28-06-2006 , 03:22 PM
Subscriber
neva knew avi done alpha was always told no but u learn new stuff every day

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 5 28-06-2006 , 04:42 PM
Are you using Maya software or mantal ray?

# 6 30-06-2006 , 05:44 AM
I am not sure whether i tried it with mental ray. But I have tried it a lot with maya software.
I haven't tried it with the targa format. I like AVI because it is supported by many software. I like IFF because it is the default rendering option (just kidding).
I am not a professional and I did not learn computer graphics from people. Most of what I know is through experimentation and my experimentations have shown me that AVI work with alpha.

knock, knock
# 7 30-06-2006 , 04:58 PM
I was just going to say that with MR you can have problems with alpha channels if you dont set it up correctley.

I have used the alpha in a AVI file but i'm not a big fan of it as I have had problems with it in the past with some softwares. (with After effects to be honest)

I personally render it as a series of TIFF's and let aftereffects import it as a image sequence, and I have had to date no problems so far.