Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 17-07-2006 , 05:36 PM

Need some members input

Hi guys!!! Just wanted to get some input on what you would like to see as far as new modeling tuts. like more human/animals/creatures, hard surface modeling etc.

Will be updating some of our older tuts as well soon as lot of techniques have changed through the years..

Thanks guys...

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 2 17-07-2006 , 07:26 PM
Subscriber
Hi kurt,
well this is just me but how about a "Kraken" deep sea monster like the one from the new pirates of the carribean movie?
Would be great to learn and would look awsome with textures and such..would then be good to add fluid effects with it etc...
would go well with the ship tutorial....user added image

Sometimes you eat the bear...Sometimes the bear eats you...
Either way...shit happens

https://www.fadedseoul.com

Last edited by traindog; 17-07-2006 at 07:30 PM.
# 3 17-07-2006 , 08:02 PM
I would love to see anything with some photorealism. I think since some of us here would like to try to make things that could be used in movies and what not, it would be cool to see how to create and texture something, then toss it in with live footage.

# 4 17-07-2006 , 08:07 PM
Subscriber
a seahorse!! i can't do a seahorse user added image

i'd like to see more character modeling...but more human (like that anime character you're doing...is that gonna be a tut btw?)...i have a lot of trouble getting a realistic looking model...i can do the head alright, but the rest just sucks :p

a kraken would be cool too...i like doing underwater creatures.

Also, a full tutorial set would be cool...modeling, texturing/rendering, rigging, and animation. You get the full spectrum of tools and workflows. Plus there aren't a whole lot of tuts out there for riggin and animation (at least not visual tutorials).

some realistic oriented tutorials would be good to see as well.

# 5 17-07-2006 , 08:20 PM
Senior Software Developer
More games based stuff, that would be good. I thin kyou have covered a lot of organics (character), but maybe some more lighting and dynamics/particle stuff

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 6 17-07-2006 , 09:35 PM
Sea creature sounds intresting somthing we have not done will see what i can think off.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

# 7 18-07-2006 , 01:08 PM
Subscriber
i think the sea creature Kraken or something like it could provide a different type of rigging tutorial aswell...just thoughts..

# 8 18-07-2006 , 02:26 PM
Subscriber
I like the idea of the kraken. Especially because, like some people said, it could be an expandable tutorial. I'd love to get some teaching on fluids, photorealistic rendering and the final composition with live footage. Many tutorials only cover one step, like modeling or rigging. It'll be lovely to have a project that goes all the way through.

have a nice summer

# 9 18-07-2006 , 03:39 PM
Played around with some ideas this is just to get my brain working the model would be a lot more menacing looking and i would add a lot to it like horns and a cool mouth...

As far as fluids, and live footage go its not what i primally do and would still need to learn a lot in those departments to feel comfortable producing a tut on them...

Attached Thumbnails

# 10 18-07-2006 , 03:44 PM
Subscriber
i really like your reference kurt and i think a tutorial like this would be very valuable...

but I like organics more than anything so i guess I am bias

# 11 18-07-2006 , 03:53 PM
The idea of a tutorial that take you through the entire project workflow would be great, but what a major time consumer to make.

Concept/Art, Modelling, Texturing, Rigging, Animating, Lighting, Rendering, Dynamics, Compositing.

Ouch user added image. Great tute tho. Get cracking Kurt, your skills are there user added image

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
# 12 19-07-2006 , 01:06 PM
Subscriber
I like the start of your concept. Should be an interesting tutorial.

as for the entire workflow thing. I know it would probably be to much work for one person. And you can't be good in everything (correct me if I am wronguser added image ) So If there is a general interest in a project like this. Why not team up with the other guys who make tut's for sm? So the model/scene gets passed over to the next person, the next and so on. So you wouldn't necessaryliy have to learn about live, fluids and all of that stuff.

just some ideas.

# 13 19-07-2006 , 03:22 PM
Thats actaully a good idea. A SM Community Based Tutorial

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 14 19-07-2006 , 04:23 PM
Subscriber
oooooohhhh lordy this is gonna be awsome!!...looks great Kurt!
Yeah the fluids tut and such may be something that can be done later or experimented with by the community themselves...

but the modeling, texturing and rigging will just be fantastic...

I cant wait for this one... user added image

# 15 19-07-2006 , 05:53 PM
I'll be starting the model very soon.