Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 23-07-2006 , 06:55 PM

polygon tool

# 2 24-07-2006 , 04:05 AM
I'm not quite sure what you mean... but I made a quick video tutorial demonstrating the basic split polygon tool technique.

I wouldn't recommend doing it the way in the tutorial though.... Usualy start with the front of the face, because the contours on the front are far far more important than on the side.

https://www.vtutorials.com/maya/splitPolygon.wmv

Last edited by kavelle; 24-07-2006 at 05:07 AM.
# 3 24-07-2006 , 01:03 PM
Senior Software Developer
to do what the tute is suggesting, i think you have to make the surface live and therefore you have the ability to use the split poly tool directly on the surface and not have to start/finish on an edge.

Is this what your wanting to do?

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 24-07-2006 , 05:06 PM
I didn't make the surface live in the tutorial. In fact, If you make it live then you won't be able to use the split polygon tool on it. It may have looked a little confusing because the polygon surface was drawn in exactly the same place as the image plane, which didn't have to be their, it only acted as a reference.

# 5 24-07-2006 , 10:36 PM
Thanks, I completely forgot about outlining the head first before using the split polygon tool? how stupid of me!

I spent some time on this tutorial and I messed with the mental ray tool and this is my head model came out.

It looks awful in my opinion because if doesnt have that soft/skin looking texture and the shadows are messed up. Does anyone have any suggestions?user added image