Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 21-11-2002 , 01:47 PM
Subscriber

avi file output too choppy

hi. i've been working with maya for a grand total of 3 days now, and am still learning the basics. i recently tested creating a .avi movie of a rotating cube that was only 60 frames long, with a 320x240 resolution. my problem is:

1. the file size is a bit big for a 60 frame movie. it's bordering on 25-30MB (but that's acceptable, though if there's a way to reduce it, i'd love to hear about it)

and

2. the video plays too slow... not just slow, but with choppy animation, and i see the hard disk access light on my pc light up too frequently.. i've played feature-length movies on my pc and they go by without a hint of slowdown. why does a 60 frame movie from maya go all choppy? i'm thinking it doesnt need to calculate anymore since everything's already prerendered in the .avi file, so why this problem? if you could suggest any solutions, i'd really appreciate it.

thanks!

# 2 21-11-2002 , 01:52 PM
Kevin
yep dont use the AVI output in maya... Use a programme like premiere or like wise, its much better mate... btw welcome to simply maya deryk

# 3 21-11-2002 , 01:58 PM
Sounds like maya (or you) rendered an uncompressed avi. You should compress the video in order to get smaller file size and smoother playback. One way to do it is to get the DivX codec and a free app called VirtualDub. With those you can compress the rendered avi without re-rendering...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 4 21-11-2002 , 01:59 PM
Subscriber
hi! thanks for the welcome!
i'll check out what you suggested. my question though is, to what format should i export my maya animation in order for me to be able to work with it in premiere? can it splice together jpeg sequences?

thanks!

# 5 21-11-2002 , 02:50 PM
Hi Deryk!
Welcome to SM bro!

Actually the best way you have for outputting video images would be to actually render a batch of images (perhaps Tiff?) and then composing those in AfterEffects, after that you can edit them as if they were a video in Premiere or whatver editor you prefer. Furtermore you could even render in passes that sequence of images for further customizability.

So ... perhaps this one could be a good workflow.
  • Render the sequence of frames -each is going to be a differente image- (Tiff)
  • Compose them together in AfterEffects. (That would be the splicing you refered to in your last reply)
  • Edit like a video in Premiere
Hope this helps mate .. user added image

# 6 21-11-2002 , 02:51 PM
To work with it in Premiere, just leave it aloneuser added image

The better the quaity of your source footage, the better chance your compresed final will lookuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 7 21-11-2002 , 02:54 PM
Kevin

Originally posted by adldesigner
Hi Deryk!
Welcome to SM bro!

Actually the best way you have for outputting video images would be to actually render a batch of images (perhaps Tiff?) and then composing those in AfterEffects, after that you can edit them as if they were a video in Premiere or whatver editor you prefer. Furtermore you could even render in passes that sequence of images for further customizability.

So ... perhaps this one could be a good workflow.

• Render the sequence of frames -each is going to be a differente image- (Tiff)
  • Compose them together in AfterEffects. (That would be the splicing you refered to in your last reply)
  • Edit like a video in Premiere
Hope this helps mate .. user added image

hey that great adl! very nice explanation 10/10 user added image

# 8 21-11-2002 , 03:02 PM
Subscriber
thanks for your help guys!
i just tried both techniques posted here (compression and external splicing) and they both worked pretty good.

wow two new techniques in one day. awright.. time to get on over to the modelling threads!

although i do have one more thing about the "smooth proxy tool" in 4.5 ... why is it that when i do create proxy, meaning my real poly is transparent over the smoothed one, when i scale or rotate my "real" poly, the smoothed one under it doesnt move at all? plus when i delete the "real" poly, the smoothed one remains there but i can't click it? yep newbie stuff.. tomorrow's gonna be my 4th day working with maya. hehehe. =)

thanks again!

# 9 05-12-2002 , 03:36 PM
How much is AfterEffects & is there a cheaper equivilant??

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 10 05-12-2002 , 04:08 PM
Subscriber
If you dont have the cash for After E you can just import your avi into premiere. re-render the avi with premiere and it automaticly cleans up the choppy-ness. after E and premiere use the same avi compression software. ( there both adobe)

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>