Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 15-01-2007 , 07:38 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
The Architect

Please calm it mate. the post is not set for a debate on an economics lesson. Just take it as it is, the reason being Maya 8.5 and whether or not it stands to being a worthy upgrade, or switching to another software

Cheers
Jay

# 17 15-01-2007 , 07:39 AM
Subscriber
Hello,

on Jay's suggestion, I contacted my reseller about the posibility of a free or discounted upgrade to Maya 8.5 and they hadn't even been notified of it's release! They were really sympathetic and said that they would look into it for me.

It's interesting to note that when I mentioned to them my feelings about Autodesk in comparison to Alias I got the distinct impression that they were not overly happy with the way that Autodesk are dealing with Maya or their customers either.

Hopefully my university won't upgrade, but I do get the impression that Autodesk might insist. There is no other option for me, if they do, than to upgrade myself which, if there is no free upgrade option, makes me so angry.

As a student/parent I have very little money and, although student licenced software is discounted, it is still not cheap when it's Maya Unlimited. Taking the decision to be legal should not carry penalties, I think that I might be the only student on my course with a legal version of Maya and what do I get in return? The prospect of perhaps having to buy the software again, which I can't afford..... so what was the point in me buying it in the first place?

Cheers,

Mat.

# 18 15-01-2007 , 07:46 AM
I completly understand you Mat, i'm lucky as uni have 7.0 I'm on 6 as that's what was out at the time, and I did most of my work at home so it wasnt really an issue. As far as I know autodesk (or the reseller to uni) didn't push an 8 upgarde and uni didn't see the advantage of upgrading so you might be lucky as they might not want to spend the extra money??

As for the reseller you might be lucky, as its a student licence?? but thats just speculation..

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 19 15-01-2007 , 07:55 AM
Senior Software Developer

Originally posted by happymat27
It's interesting to note that when I mentioned to them my feelings about Autodesk in comparison to Alias I got the distinct impression that they were not overly happy with the way that Autodesk are dealing with Maya or their customers either.

Mat,

I sympathise 110%. I was an Alias Silver Member, and it was a gr8 deal for the $200 a year membership fee. Autodesk come in and decide to end Silver membership and leave Bronze and Platinum. I lost access to about 80% of what I paid for and I did manage to get a rebate, only after 3 weeks of email threats to take them to court if it was not restored or what money due to me was handed back. But the thing that really p***ed me off was the way they did it. No announcement, no email, no newsletter. They just stopped it. Not really a customer driven company in my eyes.

Lets hope 8.5 is worth the move as I though 7 to 8 wasn't much to brag about. Heres hoping for the free upgrade for ya.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 20 15-01-2007 , 08:09 AM
Jay > 'Please calm it mate. the post is not set for a debate on an economics lesson. Just take it as it is, the reason being Maya 8.5 and whether or not it stands to being a worthy upgrade, or switching to another software.'

Yes Sir!

R@nSiD > 'We acquired Discreet and took on Max and made no major changes to it or any of the other Discreet apps. Now we have bought Alias we have cornered the VFX, SFX and Games Industries and own the 2 largest used apps in the 3D industry. We will let you all settle down and stop worrying before we get rid of both and make them one single application. Max and Maya will go at some point, we are just not saying when. Mwahahahahahaha.'

Sounds like history repeating itself again - Alias + Wavefront.

# 21 15-01-2007 , 08:17 AM
Subscriber
The architect,

Alias Research and Wavefront Technologies were purchased and merged by Silicon Graphics in 1995. I think that it was a very different approach to that which Autodesk has used in this case. Rather than buying out and re-branding, Silicon Graphics merged and evolved it's new purchases under the new name 'Alias Wavefront'.

Cheers,

Mat.

# 22 15-01-2007 , 08:26 AM
Mat,

Thanks for detailing the difference between, mergers and acquisitions :p

Arch> Your point is fair, but misplaced. Alias and Wavefront became Alias-Wavefront (a merger). Alias became Autodesk, an acquisition. Both are handled totally differently. Granted the takeover was beneficial (financially) to Ailias, but thats about it. I dont think any Alias staff hold key positions at Autodesk now.

For a better mutual takeover read up on the Disney/Pixar move. Disney prematurely end the 10 yr contract with Pixar. 6 months later Disney own Pixar (for a hefty fee). I wonder why the contract was ended then, hmmm...:p But from this John Lasseter is now CEO of Disney. Pixar are safe as John was was of its founding members.

The above is not the case for Alias, if no ex Alias staff are in key positions in Autodesk Inc. they are unable to look after the best interests of the software or customers.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
# 23 15-01-2007 , 08:29 AM
happymat27 > 'Alias Research and Wavefront Technologies were purchased and merged by Silicon Graphics in 1995. I think that it was a very different approach to that which Autodesk has used in this case. Rather than buying out and re-branding, Silicon Graphics merged and evolved it's new purchases under the new name 'Alias Wavefront'.'

While it isn't exactly the same, it still is very similar in my opinion - One big company buys two smaller companies and two seperate apps were then merged into one.

# 24 15-01-2007 , 10:53 AM
19 year Veteran
There needs be a movement for the independant artist to keep support going for the older versions of Maya. I know 32 bit versions are giving way to the newer and faster 64 bit, but that shouldn't stop support for anyone who still operates on a 32bit system.

If autodesk continues to slowly morph both Maya and Max into one single new app, support will totally dissappear for both Maya and Max. Just imagine waking up one day only to find out that Autodesk only caters to corporate customers from FX houses, making it too expensive and/or impossible for the independant artist to buy or upgrade. Folks we need to keep support going ( if it's still there ) for the older versions of Maya.

# 25 15-01-2007 , 12:00 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
THX: yeah I agree, Support for the 'old' customers is right. Indepent artists cant work/live like it. The point you made about it being just catered for 'VFX houses' is true, it will basically go back to square one, like the old Alias Power Animator days and Maya V.1 when the prices were like 20k and over.

These are the reasons Im looking at other software. Hell, Modo also gets my vote as a pick from the crop too, at least its customisable to work like Maya.

Cheers
JAy

# 26 15-01-2007 , 01:12 PM
Sorry to be a cynic regarding the idea of support but look at Apple and how they treated Logic Audio and Shake users. They initially promised support to PC users after they bought up emagic and unreal, then *poof* left all the PC users high and dry forcing long-standing customers to either switch to macs or switch software.

Maya definitely would need a support community and I'm sure there would be, even if it's unofficial (like a forum). I've tried Modo and while I like what I've seen, I found it quite difficult to get used to after using Maya for so long (even with setting up the mouse controls to resemble maya's). It's like anything, though...work with it long enough and it'll all come together. Plenty of other 3D packages out there...I wouldn't discount 3Dmax being ousted just yet, either.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 27 15-01-2007 , 05:54 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by THX1138
Folks we need to keep support going ( if it's still there ) for the older versions of Maya. [/B]

I'm still running 6... I don't have a need to upgrade, I'm new to maya, I don't have the money to buy a new version. I'm set with 6 at the moment.

# 28 15-01-2007 , 08:10 PM
19 year Veteran
I'm still running 6.5. I was fixing to upgrade to 7.0 right before I heard Alias Wavefront was selling out to Autodesk. I guess Autodesk really bummed me out on upgrading, and from what I have heard about the new maya 8.5, Autodesk has done a nearly complete rewrite of the dynamics core, and integration of another programming language in as deep as MEL.

I can easily see Autodesk slowly rewriting Maya all together in future releases. I think support for the older versions is a must have.

I realy don't want to swith to a different app until I know where Maya is officially headed.

# 29 16-01-2007 , 05:43 AM
well, my pesamism on this subject made me dig out my old copy of XSI. Started going through Ed Harris's tutes again. I would never fully make the switch, but I need to hav another under my belt if Maya support goes Pete Tong.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 30 16-01-2007 , 06:07 AM
Isnt the other programming language (Python) supported by other 3D apps too as well as being platform independant, which I think was a bit of a problem with MEL i.e a plug in or script would be almost platrom specific, which would be a good thing??

Also the new dynamic cloth sounds pretty good (if it is as easy as it sounds)

To me it sounds more of an evolution with new technology so it should be a good thing and if they are doing this they are not really shelving maya.

As for support for older versions, I hope that they do as its a lot to pay for a software that isnt supported, its like buying a car that after a new model somes out you cant get parts for.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle