Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 04-04-2007 , 04:30 PM

anyone seen the ultimax apocalypse tutorial?

holy hell, the guy modeling this thing gets a little happy with beveling. one bevel aint good enough. lets do three, four.

it's like he purposely tried to use the maximum amount of polygons as possible. well, he did delete inside faces after extruding so... he also didnt care that he used a grip of tris.

but after seeing this tutorial, i had a question about his techniques:

It seems like he just creates objects and just intersects them to existing geometry. no merging of verticies except when duplicating halves. is this generally a good idea? just to have geometry sitting and intersecting other geometry without merging? it seemed like he would just move stuff in to place and group them together. alot of geometry was left like this.

# 2 04-04-2007 , 06:53 PM
post a link to the tut?

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 04-04-2007 , 07:07 PM
# 4 04-04-2007 , 08:51 PM
naw, it aint free. it's pretty new. it's modelled in maya 8.

# 5 07-04-2007 , 11:00 PM
Subscriber
I own the max version of it, haven't watched it all yet unfortunately. He does like bevels though.

# 6 08-04-2007 , 02:31 AM
you know, the more i think about it, the 3d palace tutorials are bad to learn from. they teach you bad habits. ive got tutorials from simplymaya, gnomon, and digital tutors and everyone pretty much uses the same techniques except for 3d palace. they might have cool concepts like a massive apu, ultimax apocalypse, or the ultimate something or other (which has over 100,000 polygons in the foot alone) but damn are they careless with modeling. ive seen some 3dsmax tutorials as well. same thing.

just an opinion.

# 7 08-04-2007 , 03:31 AM
100k faces in the foot?! user added image

Does it at least look good in the end?

# 8 08-04-2007 , 05:22 AM
well i didnt actualy see that tutorial, i jusr saw their wip section and alot of people worked on the project. if i remember correctly, that model looked kind of funky. the foot looked really nice because of the detail but the model as a whole didnt. and the polycount for the foot was 550,000+,.

here's a link:
https://www.3d-palace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12056

# 9 08-04-2007 , 05:49 AM
Quote from that link:

"I've just completed the foot and its only 551,000 polys so far!!!!"

ONLY 551,000?!

Excuse me while I go change into a fresh pair of undies...

# 10 08-04-2007 , 05:58 AM
it's like a higher poly count equals bragging rights for those 3d palace guys. all their models feature a million polygons. it's a little irresponsible. not to mention, you probably need a quad core cpu to power that pc. maybe some diesel fuel as well.

# 11 08-04-2007 , 05:28 PM
Subscriber
3,400,000 polys for the finished model :O

But in their defense(?) they all do seem to acknowledge they're adding detail where it's never going to be seen.... and that it's a crazy amount of polys....

Still user added image

/goes back to work on haunted house.

# 12 08-04-2007 , 07:03 PM
Subscriber
yes i can say the same. i did the apu in maya. he's a careless person really. the end result is cool and complicated but the poly count really does go up high something like 250K. and gosh are those tutorials frigin long???? 40 hours for the apu. other tutorial like the ulitmax is something like 80. even though i like the finished results i prefer getting tutorials from other websites. here for example.

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!
# 13 09-04-2007 , 02:54 AM

Originally posted by 13th_resident
yes i can say the same. i did the apu in maya. he's a careless person really. the end result is cool and complicated but the poly count really does go up high something like 250K. and gosh are those tutorials frigin long???? 40 hours for the apu. other tutorial like the ulitmax is something like 80. even though i like the finished results i prefer getting tutorials from other websites. here for example.

is it even practical to use those kind of models in a production enviornment? or is it more for show and tell?

i thought i may have been a little harsh by saying "irresponsible" but i guess im not the only one thinking it. i'll also never get tutorials from there again. that kind of stuff will get a noob going in the wrong direction.

# 14 09-04-2007 , 03:15 AM
I'm curious to have that answered as well; I can't imagine the purpose of making something "unclean," and use it to try to land a job.

Of course, if it's for show, then that's no worry; but if it's for a production, it must be unhealthy to have so many unnecessarry polys...

# 15 04-05-2007 , 07:26 AM
Subscriber
"Excuse me while I go change into a fresh pair of undies..."

i think i need to do the same ... thats soo much for just the FOOT! user added image