Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 31 23-05-2007 , 06:34 PM
yeah I'm sure it will be fine perfecto - don't worry.

looks like you came up with a smart solution to not having a paint program and your ray gun is looking sweet.

# 32 23-05-2007 , 07:13 PM
Hey, thanks for the reassurance sever and arran. Here's another little update. I did the texture the same way, geometry then render out as jpeg.

Attached Images

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 33 23-05-2007 , 07:15 PM
Close up of strap texture

Attached Images

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 34 23-05-2007 , 10:52 PM
I decided that for the final, I will post a close up of the gun and another render of the gun on display. Here's the start of the display case.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 35 23-05-2007 , 10:57 PM
Here's the maple wood texture that I created in MS Paint. I made it by using the small spray can. It's made with three colors, light brown, medium brown, and dark brown. The trickiest part was figuring out how to make the pattern repeatable.

Edit: There's actually four colors if you count the extra light brown which I used first as a fill color for the background. Then I started painting on top of it with the spray can.

Attached Images

Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 23-05-2007 at 11:02 PM.
# 36 24-05-2007 , 11:32 AM
OMG u did a texture in paint - that is freakin awesome.
at 1st glance i fort it was real or atleast made in photoshop.

hehe thnks 4 the msg perfecto at SL, its ok, i had been checkin here but i must of missed ur thread. i really like ur texturing and additional features to the gun. the handle and strap textures r lookin sweet. some nice ideas there.

WELL DONE, glad 2 see sum1 else attemptin the gun. user added image

:attn: s2

# 37 24-05-2007 , 11:31 PM
Worked on lighting some.

Attached Images

Exceed Expectations!
# 38 25-05-2007 , 09:43 AM
I think I've done about all I can do. Adjust the lighting a little more and added a plaque.

Attached Images

Exceed Expectations!
# 39 25-05-2007 , 09:49 AM
Close-up of plaque.

Attached Images

Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 25-05-2007 at 10:23 AM.
# 40 25-05-2007 , 10:20 AM
And the texture. I also did this one in MS Paint. I just made a bunch of horizontal lines and then used the text tool. I used this texture as the color and as a bump.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 41 25-05-2007 , 12:22 PM
Subscriber
Hey Perfecto,

UV came out fantastic. You were born to do this I think user added image

Now for painting textures in MS Paint I take my hat off. Tiles too. On top of that they actually look very very good.
Mission impossible.

It's all looking very stylish really.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy
# 42 25-05-2007 , 02:32 PM
Wow, thanks alot AlphaFlyte! I'm really satisfied with the overall look. And, I think the MS Paint textures turned out all right too. Unfortunately, they probably won't count for much since those textures aren't really part of the model but I definitely think it will help sell it if you know what I mean.

And for UV's, most of it was planner mapping using the camera view. I don't really know how to adjust UV's or stitch, etc. so I just used the camera view to apply planner maps and then scaled to get squares. It seemed to work well enough for my needs so I didn't bother getting into the more advanced mapping. If I had taken on one of the characters or the horse, I'm sure the outcome would have been much different (hehe). I don't think I could have done anything like what the others are doing (not this round anyway).

Anyway, your comments are motivating, thanks!

Exceed Expectations!