Back from real life commitments and family.
Spent a good 14 hours whole day trying to get my head around UV's and more different mapping techniques and tools. I've done many types of projection methods of whole head as well as select areas. Automatic maped the head at least 4 times trying different move and sew plus relax techniques. It's slooowly sinking in, but the outcome, I still wish I had more control over. I mean I AM in control, just not doing the right things at the right time for the right reasons
Here's the best I can do with what I've learned so far. It's not ideal, and to be honest it's nowhere near as good as it needs to be. There's stretching and scale problems here and there. The throat and the area under the chin, are hellish to get minimal distortion in.
It's meeting two goals though.
1) The features (front) of the face face must remain undistorted and true to the geometry for easier handpainting, without any overlapping. Meaning if the throat distorts because of it, that's a compromise I am more than willing to make.
2) Everything is UV mapped and on one 512x512. Some areas are reusing/sharing the same texture space. Others are not.
I need to read more and trial and error less next. I do need more practice doing this. Slow learner apparently :p
With the above two goals met I still need to learn how to maintain uniform scale AND use the 0,1 space to full efficiency.
I should have picked a much simpler model, but I really wanted to learn how to do humans, with hair and eyelashes using alpha masks
I've learned a lot about UV's, but not mastered it.
It's a little hard to see what's going on with the checkers but no need to post a gazillion screenshots :p