Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 12-09-2007 , 11:05 AM

Bump maps - one side raised, the other lowered?

Hi folks,

just watched a texturing tutorial from Digital Tutors. When he made the bump map, one side of his object had raised bumps, the other had indentations (he'd copied the bump for each side).

To get around this, he inverted one of the bump maps in photoshop, and this solved it. I've watched other tutorials on the same subject though and never seen this before, and in the little that I've done never came across it.

Anyone heard of this - could it be in an older version of maya?

cheers,

gubar

# 2 12-09-2007 , 11:16 AM
you can adjust the colour gain to -.5 (I think its the colour gain) that way that evers mid grey comes out as being even, darker and its lowered and whiter and its raised.

Its the way Zbrush makes displacments so you have to do that to get your displacement looking right,

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 12-09-2007 , 02:15 PM
Be trying more uv'ing soon so I'll see how it goes, he wasn't udsing z brush or anything though, it was just a very simple bump done in photoshop.

cheers

# 4 12-09-2007 , 02:22 PM
No what I was saying is that thats how Zbrush renders displacements with geray as 0 displacement, not thats what he did in the tutorial.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 12-09-2007 , 02:24 PM
Lifetime Member
One possibility is if you mirror something over and then freeze transformations on it then the nodes get set to the opposite (would usually get a warning in the command window )which causes all sorts of odd things.
you can open the attribute editor and in the shape node go to the Render Stats tab and click on double sided and then turn opposite off then turn double sided back on.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner