Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 25-10-2007 , 06:42 AM

help with uv mapping

ok I'm using maya 2008 and I'm new to it obviously. I need help with something simple from you maya experts. I already have a model. I pull the object into maya and I get this error first:

"Your OBJ file contains faces shared by multiple groups. Maya cannot creat multiple objects for this file. A single mesh object will be created instead. The OBJ group information will be captured in Maya sets."

Not sure what that means. So then once the model is up I scale it up and then I add smoothshade to all. Next I open the uv editor and all the uvs are stacked on each other. I need help on how to move them to separate shells.

any help would be appreciated. I've attached the object file.

Attached Files
File Type: zip sl_male.zip (3.3 KB, 131 views)
# 2 25-10-2007 , 07:02 AM
Is that the Second life model? Ive not downloaded it to see but off the SLmale description I'm guessing it is!

What you might need to do the select 1 sinle UV then go to select shell (or select all UV's in shell I think you need) this will select the pre UV's sections form the second life model, you can then assign each selection to a different UV set for texturing (as per the eSecond life guidelines that I think are available) so you can then add the texture files to the modle in Second life.
If its not a second life modle then the selections should still be valid unless its not been Uv mapped before, if this is the casethen theres lots of tutorials on UV mapping, also have a look in the help files for UV mapping as theres tutorials in there.

Hope it helps.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 25-10-2007 , 07:07 AM
yes it's a second life model. do I do as you suggest in the uv editor?

# 4 25-10-2007 , 07:24 AM
It should work, as I think that with texturing for SL you need to sepperate the model into the corrisponding maps to upload the model as prims and then the textures to fit the model.

I think that if you look for the SL textures there broken into sepperate maps for the head, torso, arms etc etc so yes it should be what your after, as when the obj's been imported its just applied each of the maps onto one UV map.

I would have a bit of a research into it so your not going down the wrong path.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 25-10-2007 , 09:12 AM
Lifetime Member
If you go to mesh and seperate the mesh you will be able to select each piece indivdually and sort the UV's out easier.
What Maya has done is combined all the seperate pieces in the OBJ into one mesh but not merged the verts so the seperate command will make them individual again.You will have to rename the individual pieces though.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner