Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 14-11-2007 , 06:50 AM

Texturing eyebrows on top of an sss fast skin

Hi all,

problem I have is that I can't layer my eyebrow texture top of my sss shader to good result. I've got a separate uv set just for the brows (want a separate set since I want the eyebrows to be higher res than elsewhere).

On a lambert I can just stack them on top in a layered texture. If I do this on the sss though, all the detail is lost since the shader scatters light and the individual hairs just become a blur. Same with the mix 20 layer.

I've experimented with a layered shader, placing a blinn on top of the sss and trying to control it with aplhas, but the results are weird and my system starts to hang.

Anyone able to suggest how I can get this texture on top of my sss, with an alpha channel intact, in my uv set?

advice much appreciated,

gubar

# 2 20-11-2007 , 01:05 PM
Maybe texture the bias (weight) channels for your sss layers and overall color and diffuse so that the subsurface scattering is having 0 effect where the eyebrows are?

# 3 20-11-2007 , 06:20 PM
Thanks Laurie priest, got it sorted though. Separate uv map layered on top )in a layered shader) with an alpha channel, after going over everything about a dozen times to see what I'd missed.

cheers,

gubar