Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 23-11-2007 , 09:17 PM

I feel like an idiot

I'm importing a model here, but he's transparent or just a wireframe or something. I press 5 but he doesn't show, and when I render him with various colors he is also invisible. Any ideas? I downloaded the raptor guy under animals.

# 2 23-11-2007 , 11:27 PM

hmmm...

Most likely the inputs of your shader are messed up or there is no shader applied to it. You could recreate another shader and then apply it to the character. It's happened to me before. There is no stupid question dude.

EA Games

Last edited by djknucklez1; 23-11-2007 at 11:40 PM.
# 3 25-11-2007 , 03:49 AM
Subscriber
Yeah, looks like the original materials/shaders went missing or something, just recreate and apply new ones on.

# 4 25-11-2007 , 06:17 AM
Check your render flags under the shape node as well.

# 5 26-11-2007 , 01:08 PM
No you guys. Read my whole question. I applied different shaders.

Originally posted by LauriePriest
Check your render flags under the shape node as well.

OK I looked at this. But it says visibility is on for all shapes/surfaces.

# 6 26-11-2007 , 01:27 PM
hmm post the model, check normals as well, conform them.

I have had this problem before but i cant remember how i fixed it for the life of me.

# 7 26-11-2007 , 01:42 PM
OK I looked at the script editor and it said this
"polySurfaceShape1Orig has no shading group associated with it. This
means that it will not be rendered. Please assign it to a shading group.
"

I selected this and right-clicked on my shader and assigned it. But something is still wrong. Any ideas now?

# 8 26-11-2007 , 01:46 PM

hmm post the model, check normals as well, conform them.

I have had this problem before but i cant remember how i fixed it for the life of me.

What do you mean by this?

# 9 26-11-2007 , 06:08 PM
lol!
ok easy problem, it should automatically fix this when you assign a new shader but for some reason its not.

In hypershade go to the shading groups tab and ctrl drag one of the shading groups from there onto your object.

If you strugle with that method, make a default object select it and your invisible object and then in the hypergraph show the input and ouput connections for both.

Attached to your new object you will see a shading group, middle mouse+ ctrl drag your invisible objects shape node in the hypergraph to the shading network of the other object.

An object cannot assign or link surface shaders without a shading group.

# 10 26-11-2007 , 09:06 PM
Subscriber
Wierd, yeah it should apply a new a shader once you apply a new material etc.

Originally posted by Voxi
No you guys. Read my whole question. I applied different shaders.

Where'd you say this?

# 11 27-11-2007 , 11:47 AM

lol!
ok easy problem, it should automatically fix this when you assign a new shader but for some reason its not.

In hypershade go to the shading groups tab and ctrl drag one of the shading groups from there onto your object.

If you strugle with that method, make a default object select it and your invisible object and then in the hypergraph show the input and ouput connections for both.

Attached to your new object you will see a shading group, middle mouse+ ctrl drag your invisible objects shape node in the hypergraph to the shading network of the other object.

An object cannot assign or link surface shaders without a shading group.

Wow this looked like it would work, but it didn't. ;_;
I tried the first method and nothing happened. I tried the main surface and it worked but it didn't work with 10rig. Then the 2nd method and nothing happened. So I..
-middle mouse ctrl dragged the shading group to 10rig and it didn't connect
-middle mouse ctrl dragged 10rig to the shading group and it didn't connect
Grrrrrr

By the way: now I found this weird thing called the connection editor. It says polysurfaceshape10rig is an output and polysurfaceshape1 is an input. I don't know if this helps. -_-'

Last edited by Voxi; 27-11-2007 at 11:58 AM.
# 12 27-11-2007 , 11:49 AM

Originally posted by marlonjohn
Wierd, yeah it should apply a new a shader once you apply a new material etc.

Where'd you say this?

"and when I render him with various colors he is also invisible."

Sorry what I meant here is shaders. I just forgot what they were called. user added image

Last edited by Voxi; 27-11-2007 at 11:55 AM.
# 13 27-11-2007 , 07:40 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Voxi
"and when I render him with various colors he is also invisible."

Sorry what I meant here is shaders. I just forgot what they were called. user added image

Haha! nah its ok, no need to be sorry ... i coudnt find it so i though my Firefox or Simply maya site was stuffing up on me :p

# 14 28-11-2007 , 08:09 PM
Subscriber
this sounds too werid., how did you import it.., is it native maya?? is it OBJ.., can you just ry to import it againg and be aware of the settngs.., this shouldnt happen.., though thats no constellation for you at this time??

take it easy and life will be easy
# 15 29-11-2007 , 07:23 AM

Originally posted by mirek03
this sounds too werid., how did you import it.., is it native maya?? is it OBJ.., can you just ry to import it againg and be aware of the settngs.., this shouldnt happen.., though thats no constellation for you at this time??

Ya it's an .mb file. The problem might be is that I'm using PLE. I tried downloading and importing it again.