Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 27-12-2002 , 08:47 PM
Subscriber
This issue is one that I've stuggled with since I decided to try and make 3D work my career.

I found MAX easier to learn, but got frustrated with things not working the way they are suppose to. It's like they is several different ways to do any one thing, but many times you run into work flow errors that corrupt your file. I like that MAYA eliminates the need to decide what feature or plugin your going to use, like having only one skinning method.

The learning curve for MAYA seems much steeper. Finishing a scene seems to be much harder, but I'm assuming that once you reach that point the results will be much better.

Anyway, I try not to teeter back and forth between the two. It seems counter productive.

So back to work, on MAYA.

M :banana:

# 17 29-12-2002 , 02:54 PM
can someone post an image of the MAX interface?

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 18 29-12-2002 , 04:07 PM
Subscriber
I like Maya's Interface 1000 times better than the MAXs'... :banana:

# 19 29-12-2002 , 04:09 PM
Subscriber
I mean, how can somebody work in that?? I just dont get that!... user added image

anyway... I have one more question.. for you ex-MaX Users... why..O why does MAX have a Teapot for a primitive object??? what is it useful for?? I just dont get that

-Emo

# 20 29-12-2002 , 07:47 PM
MAx's interface is not that bad... it is definetively not as good as MAYA's but it has its pros and cons.
Actually one thing that MAYA's interface appears to lack is the ability to "float" the channel box like you can in MAX.
This is particularly helpful if you have a dual monitor setup, so that the line dividing the viewports is between the two monitors.

I also have a separate question:
How come when you try to extrude faces from appended polygons the extruded result is missing a face?

# 21 31-12-2002 , 04:35 PM
one thing that maya should hav....ability to sliding keys in the timeline and do some edits in it like cut n paste

:-)
# 22 31-12-2002 , 04:36 PM
It canuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 23 01-01-2003 , 10:39 PM

Originally posted by Emo
I mean, how can somebody work in that?? I just dont get that!... user added image

anyway... I have one more question.. for you ex-MaX Users... why..O why does MAX have a Teapot for a primitive object??? what is it useful for?? I just dont get that

-Emo

Actually, it's not that bad. The interface is more customizable than Maya's, i.e. you can add custom buttons anywhere you want (left, right, top, bottom, floating etc). The biggest annoyance is the Command Panel on the right. Only one of those tabs can be visible at any one time. You Max users out there will understand what I mean.

The teapot is actually a mathematical formula and is a carry-over from old versions of Max. It's also a good shape for testing lighting, rendering, and dynamics, because it has varied surface topology (hard edges, soft edges, concave and convex faces).

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job