Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 29-01-2008 , 09:57 AM
Level 32 pachyderm

Hardware rendering: network machines

Ok as you may know i have difficulties hardware rendering and have tried many things to help but without sucess
BUT i think i finally have a solution
if i seclet to only render on network machines (on machines that are hardware rendering capable) will i be able to render particles?
thanx in advance

# 2 29-01-2008 , 10:31 AM
I really dont know to be honest.

Good luck though

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 29-01-2008 , 12:39 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I just found out that my graphics card is opengl compatable!
that maya says machine incapable of hardware rendering
does this help? is there anything i need to do?

# 4 29-01-2008 , 10:54 PM
Hmm Dunno, I thought it was purely on the graphics cards capability to do what maya's asking (anti aliasing, transparancy etc etc) and if it cant it will throw up the error.

Might be wrong though.

# 5 29-01-2008 , 11:40 PM
Subscriber
i had the exact same problem.., i had an expensive graphics card and all.., professional no less but would render maya 7 but not past that.

then i was told there is such a thing called Open GL 2, and my graphics card didnt have it. it is a NEW open GL, designed to make people like us spend money (thats my opinion user added image )

I rebuilt the machine (bad news ah) because as i brought the new graphics card i decided to get more HD space.., then a new processor, ect.., in the end i got a complete new machine and put the old HDs in external cases, and put SATA drives in the tower.., ect

now it rips the bag.., dual processor.., ect

let me guess.., you can not get high view port render either?? correct??

get a new graphics card... make sure it is up to date. i got a GeForce 8500GT.., its a gamers card i found out user added image buit it certainly works well on all levels (except occasionally the viewport goes black if i am downloading updates and such at the same time i am using maya) and renders dam quick.

Muser added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 6 29-01-2008 , 11:44 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
yeah i might need a new card
but my current one is capable of allls sorts
ah well, back to the drawing board

# 7 30-01-2008 , 12:04 AM
Subscriber
so was mine, it was great.., $1300 (AUST) in its day (got it second hand). theres not much point if it can not hardware render particles?? no dynamics.., ect.., and pyrotechnics are fun.

the one i have now was about $400, its was worth it but its money i know user added image im still paying for the complete upgrade to the machine. well worth it though i know how frustrating your situation is and you are not doing yourself any favours because you are not learning the whys and wherefores of particle systems.., totally important unless you want to specialize in texturing??

i hear yu though.

# 8 30-01-2008 , 03:29 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
hmmmm]is there anything that can render particles without needing hardware rendering
such as the mental reay in maya 2008 (im using 8.5)

# 9 30-01-2008 , 09:27 AM
Nope, not unless you can get it form the hardware render buffer.

# 10 30-01-2008 , 10:11 AM
Subscriber
theres a light shining at the end my friend. save the bikkies.., grb a card.., it will put a smile on that dial in the end

Muser added image

# 11 30-01-2008 , 09:55 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
yeah ill have to buy a new g card
awell
thanx for the help

# 12 31-01-2008 , 05:33 PM
I'm a bit confused... I always thought that the latest version of OpenGL came with the latest version of the drivers for the graphics card...

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 13 31-01-2008 , 06:53 PM
Subscriber
well no.., we can be sure that elephantinc has the latest driver.., seems he tried everything.., i did and the first thing i did was get the latest driver for that card..,

Im confused too, and annoyed.., i spent a year trying to find the correct driver, PCI slot, anything

in the end i asked a pro.., and he just kind of off handedly said. it (the card) was too old.

we can get the name of elephantinc's card.., track down the link to the latest driver and he can instal it and hopefully you are correct.., in my case, it didnt work.., the card was a few years old.., i wondered why it was so cheap ($100). i forget what card it was.., nvidea (expensive) pro of some sort.., its at a friends atm.

as i said.., maya 7 was working fine?? so what was the main difference..?? .., after effects 7 worked fine.., but hardware render in maya 8.5 (i forget 8) .., no go joe user added image

# 14 31-01-2008 , 07:11 PM
Well, I don't mind trying to find out if the card can work with Maya, but if you want me to, then I'll need to know:

What version of OpenGL does Maya 8.5 use?

What version of OpenGL do you have now? (This can be usually found in Catalyst or the NVIDIA equivalent of)

Who is the manufacturer of the card?

What model is it and what GPU does it have?

Anyways, mirek, any chance that your old card was a NVIDIA Quadro?

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 15 31-01-2008 , 08:05 PM
Subscriber
mE?? this is not my thread and i have maya 2008 (mac and PC) and it goes beautifully on both).., the probelm i had is history and was using it as an example to support my opinion. I dont need help.., i rebuilt the computer and have a spanking new card and a spanking new everything (dual CPU.., yippee!!.., 2 terragig HD .., yipee.., ect)

the card i have now is fine.., i revamped the computer because of the hardware render problem.

yes.., quadro4.., it worked well with maya 7 but not past that.

if you can help me or elephantinc we would both be eternally thankful.., hopefully ill be proved wrong in my fatalistic attitude to the quadro and ephantinc's card. (more to the point ephantinc's)

cheers mate, i know you are way ahead of me with this stuff user added image much appreciated user added image