Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 14-04-2008 , 07:24 AM

Poly Texturing - Triangle pressed into a solid

Hi,

Can anyone help me out?
Basically I'm trying to create the effect of a series of triangle (3d) pushed into a surface. I could create all the 3D triangle and building them together as a surface or I assume a much quicker way would be to create the illusion (texture mapping).

Many thanks,

Matt

# 2 14-04-2008 , 08:25 AM
Subscriber
Depending on factors like how detailed it needs to be and how close the camera is to the surface it could be achieved in a few different ways. The quickest way to model them would be to use modelling boolean on the surface, all you would need to do is make the triangle shape and then go to boolean > difference(think thats the right mode, haven't got Maya open at mo).

You could also do this using a displacement map, either using a 2d package like photoshop to draw the triangle shape or a 3d one like zbrush or mudbox to sculpt the whole on the displacement map.

If it just had to be the illusion of holes then a bump map may well be easiest option.

Chris

# 3 14-04-2008 , 11:07 AM
Thanks. Prob best to actually model the thing i think as i might be doing some close up renders.

Many thanks for helping.