Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 19-04-2008 , 12:56 AM

Fur being generated outside of geometry

I'm trying to create a plane and attach Fur (grass) to it. The problem is in the view port, it looks good but when rendered, the grass makes a rectable. The geometry was made using the Create polygon tool so it was never a rectangle.

I have tried making the pattern using extrude. I've tried using booleans. I've tried making a square and adjusting verts. But no matter what I've done so far, I can't figure out how to make it put grass only on the geometry. It always wants to make the grass 4 straight sides no matter what. Anybody have any ideas?

The top picture is my viewport, grass only shows on geometry it was assigned to. Bottom picture is a Mental Ray render.

Edit: Oh yeah, I've tried creating UV's with the projection (Y) method and also with the auto method.

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 2 19-04-2008 , 04:01 AM
Here's what I want to do. Here's a render of a house I'm working on. I want to lower the sidewalk but if I do, the grass will show through it. Is there a way I can use the fur tool to create grass everywhere except where the sidewalk is?

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 19-04-2008 , 09:07 PM
if you split that object up into quads it should do the trick... since you created one poly with all those sides i believe that it's treating it as just one quad... *shrug*

Accept no substitutions.
# 4 19-04-2008 , 11:17 PM
Thanks NeoStrider, I'll try it out.

Exceed Expectations!
# 5 19-04-2008 , 11:31 PM
I tried it out and it worked but it's not because of it being quads. If I use the create polygon tool, then it doesn't work and if I split or cut a plane, it doesn't work. I'll just move verts and delete faces and hopefully that will work. Maybe it's something to do with using 8.5 and Vista (I still haven't installed the service pack for 8.5).

Anyway, I don't think I would have figured that out without your suggestion, so thanks a heap!

Exceed Expectations!
# 6 20-04-2008 , 12:54 AM
Subscriber
Hey, looking nice, do u mind if you would post the attributes for the grass(fur).

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 7 21-04-2008 , 12:58 AM
All I did was made the grass darker and change the width and length to match the size of my model.

With Mental Ray sun and sky, the grass was really light so I just kept making the grass darker and darker till I got a shade I liked and that worked with my scene.

My model is in inches so I made the grass 4 units long, 0.23 base width, and 0.11 tip width. But I'm going to change it to about 2 inches long which means I'll need to adjust the width too. Oh, I used 1,750,000 density.

One thing I realized is that the size of the blades of grass is crucial. At first my grass was too big so it made the house look really small. The smaller the grass, the bigger the house looks. So, the grass size is crucial to realism.

One more IMPORTANT thing, before I added fur (grass), I applied a grass texture to the plane. Without a grass texture on the plane it won't look right.

Exceed Expectations!