Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 30-06-2008 , 08:50 PM

Funny Splitter

I've modeled a headphone splitter, for use as a character... yes, a character. The female ports are the feet, the male jack is the head... and that's not a comment on sexuality either (my film school would say I'm a misogynist pig :< )
Anyway...

I built a skeleton, and set some Ik handles. Worked fine. I skinned it, and, well, it seems as if the feet have a funny relationship to the head, as well as the neck having a funny relationship to the head. Observe below:

A note on construction: the black plastic is 3 subdivs: a head, feet, and the cord in between, grouped together. The gold connectors, also subdivs, are each grouped to their corresponding head piece.

A note on material: A applied a black lambert shader to the male jack's two indentions, and it shows up in the viewport, but as you can see, the thing is solid gold during render. Hints?

A note on image: Left to Right
Splitter Model, Splitter Model: Head Close, Splitter Leg issue, Splitter Leg issue, Splitter Neck Issue

Thanks!

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 2 30-06-2008 , 08:51 PM
And the image :< Sorry.

Attached Images

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 3 01-07-2008 , 10:04 PM
Super Moderator
Could be a skin weights issue? :x

- Genny
# 4 02-07-2008 , 03:19 AM
Sadly I won't be near maya for a few days (vacation!) so I'll have to try when I get back... skin weight. That makes sense. I'll look into it. After :<

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer
# 5 09-07-2008 , 09:16 PM
if you've got IK handles going they seem to be doing the job correctly, unless the skeleton is bending in the wrong direction or something... when the IK manipulator is pulled further than the limb it points in the correct direction but straightens out. if the IK manipulator is moved in to a position shorter than the limb it will bend at whatever joint it has... so it looks as if it's performing correctly.

maybe you could enlarge the two problem shots, circle the errors, and give a description as to what it's doing and then what you'd like it to do instead?

Accept no substitutions.
# 6 10-07-2008 , 04:00 AM
in the photo, you may notice the extreme enlargement of the gold connetor on the top on each of the foot bends. That is the problem, the attachment of the head to the foot. I am trying to change weights, but unfortunately, as you could see in tech issues, with certain joints, if I try moving the viewport it crashes... so that's a problem also.

--
Peter Srinivasan
Producer