Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 12-08-2008 , 02:53 AM
Okay for better understanding here i add the maya project file

Attached Files
File Type: mb table.mb (71.4 KB, 247 views)
# 17 12-08-2008 , 03:43 AM
Subscriber
i would think that inserting moreedges to continue along the lines of that bevel would definately sort it out

or you could just make the legs and table top seperate pieces of geometry and bevel all their edges and just put the legs into the table a big to make it look like they are one single piece of geometry

when you bevel the legs you'll get some trouble like that too, so that's why i thought of doing it as seperate pieces... although im not sure if that's considered good practice

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 18 12-08-2008 , 09:41 AM
Super Moderator
I wouldn't even bother with the bevel operation really. Just added edge loops close to the corners so when its smoothed, it keeps its shape but you get rounded corners.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 19 12-08-2008 , 11:39 AM
Wow thanks.

I tried a lot of thinks but without luck. Always the same. Now i used the edge loop tool and everything works fine. So next day i start texturing.

What is the best way texturing this table ? Should i use uv mapping or is it okay if i use normal mapping and should i put the texture on the complete object or should i extract the parts like the legs and the sides of the table and texture it seperately?

Thanks for help. wooohaa :attn:

# 20 12-08-2008 , 01:30 PM
Subscriber
isn't normal mapping an improvement on bump mapping?? normal mapping is just for fake 3d effects like bump mapping (ie, the surface is still flat but the surface doesn't look flat)

texture mapping, as far as i know, is the only way to texture objects in 3D. There is texture synthesis, but as of yet i'm still yet to know what that's all about

anyway, since your legs are stuck to your table you'll probably not want to cut them off, esp since it's a simple model

if you just go into the UVtexture editor then you can play around with the UVs there

then just take a UV snapshot and go crazy in your painting program. provided your painting program has layers and layer blend modes you'll be able to paint over/under the uv snapshot

hmm.. not sure if i made sense...

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 21 12-08-2008 , 06:43 PM
Super Moderator
Laying out UVs can be a pain because at times it can be time consuming, but this is a simple model, so UV mapping it shouldn't be too much of a biggie.

- Genny
# 22 13-08-2008 , 06:07 PM
By "Normal mapping" do you mean taking a 2D image, making it into a material, and then just applying that material to the object?

(I'm a newb though, so I don't know anything much)

# 23 13-08-2008 , 06:36 PM
Subscriber
umm

i think what you just described is texture mapping.
Texture mapping is when you take a 2D image and apply it to a 3d mesh.

bump mapping is when you take a 2d image that is in greyscale, apply it to a 3d mesh, and the lighter parts of that 2d image gives the impression that the surface is raised. so light areas in the 2d image when applied to the 3d mesh will look like it's a bump

normal mapping has a similar or same (not sure) effect as bump mapping. the thing with normal mapping is you can make a normal map from high res 3d meshes and make a 2d picture out of it using the UVs and then you can apply it to a low res mesh like you would with a bump map. A normal map isn't greyscale, it has three channels to it.

both bump mapping and normal mapping give the impression that the mesh has more geometry than it really has

i'm still unsure how to explain normal mapping myself but this is what i understand of it...
if anyone knows how to explain this better then go ahead user added image

btw, in terms of 3d, a normal is the direction that a surface is facing

# 24 13-08-2008 , 07:21 PM
Acid44