Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 12-08-2008 , 10:24 PM
Subscriber

is 2048x2048 to big for textures??

Hi i am currently in the process of texturing a human model and i have textured the face hair and mustache all with separate uv maps, all of which are 2048x2048, ass soon as i apply and turn on view textures on the model my computer ;ike throughs an anchor out and runs REAL slow...any help would be great.
Brady

Bradysammons.com
New Media Designer
Student: Academy of Art University S.F.
My WIP
# 2 12-08-2008 , 11:11 PM
It will be because of the size of the textureas and your graphics card not being able to cope, if you really need to see them then use some smaller ones as a stand in and only up to the real deal on render.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 13-08-2008 , 07:14 AM
well, once you turn on view textures in maya it will slowdown unless you have a beast for a computer. and as for the texture size its good enough, there an amazing thread at cgsociety.org and the the texture sizes used are 7k and up. what i suggest is leave the textures the way they are and just do test renders to see how it really looks.

# 4 13-08-2008 , 07:55 AM
The Maya Mountain
If you're making a feature film and you have something that'll be full-screen closeup, then yeah, that big is justified.

# 5 13-08-2008 , 07:34 PM
Subscriber
thanks mike that was kinda the answer i was looking for...i thought that an image that size would be a little excessive, i used 1024x1024 and i could not not telll the difference and it loads much faster.
thanks

Bradysammons.com
New Media Designer
Student: Academy of Art University S.F.
My WIP