Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 06-09-2008 , 04:48 AM
Watch out with the glow effect, as its post, it goes "over" everything so to speak.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 17 06-09-2008 , 04:52 AM
Super Moderator
You can do it in post but for some still imagery I guess it has its uses, though, using the ambient and/or incandescence makes more sense especially if you're using Mental Ray. From my observation, glow needs illumination for it to show, incandescence/ambient does not. Glow doesn't contribute to illumination, incandescence/ambient can. (you get a sad and not so believable bit of light on surfaces that are actually inside its radius AND are facing the glow source, to me that's not really "contributing"). /shrug

- Genny
# 18 06-09-2008 , 11:14 AM
19 year Veteran
It depends on your specific use for glow whether it be a still pic, or for an animation. I would much rather apply a glow effect in photoshop rather than in maya. I get better control.

But for a glow map, you need to apply it to the incandescence slot in your materials attributes and control it from mentalray. Object illumination is really fun to work with.

# 19 10-09-2008 , 01:58 AM
sorry to bump0 this but I tried it:

Originally posted by THX1138
It's a texture map you can paint and apply to your model so that certain parts will glow. It's applied to the incandescence slot of your materials attributes. It works best when used with final gather. Here is an old test render I did years ago using such a map.

with a checker texture but it didn't illuminate the environment.
does someone know how to fix this?
EDIT: I used mental ray with final gather and photons
Thanks in advance,
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 20 10-09-2008 , 06:23 AM
19 year Veteran
You have to set the intensity of the incandescence pretty high to get it to light the enviorment.

I did a quick example of what the effect looks like. I also applied the special effects glow option to get the flaring gradient effect. I still think that effect sucks when done in maya.

Attached Images
# 21 10-09-2008 , 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
Benny you only need to turn on FG in Mental Ray to get the shader to illuminate, no need for a photon emitting light (just make sure you uncheck the use default lighting option in the general tab of the render settings) As THX said boosting the incandescence will help, you have to watch it with that though or it'll create hot spots and still may not illuminate as much as you want, and that's when you'll need to pull it back some and boost the FG scale in the render settings (those numbers depend on the scene scale, so its a lil trial and error).

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 22 10-09-2008 , 10:02 AM
GecT thanks for posting the results that way... it's great to see what happens when one setting is changed, and seeing what value was used in the change, and then changing another setting and seeing the difference and what each does. it helps the newbs in the tweaking process so they don't waste their time with a setting they shouldn't even be touching... plus having the images in close proximity also lets you see the differences in the values and their effects. nice.

when i was learning lighting and shadows (hell i STILL don't use MR, let alone haven't really learned how to use it) for raytracing and soft shadows and the like, there were only a few tutorials that helped, because instead of saying 'do this, now do this, now do this' (which just gave you their result instead of how to achieve your own) they would have images like yours that would show incrementations of settings to show you how it alters the render and to what extent.

Accept no substitutions.
# 23 10-09-2008 , 01:50 PM
:attn: :attn:
Thanks
user added image
By bennyk_il at 2008-09-11

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 24 10-09-2008 , 05:58 PM
Super Moderator
Neo, I actually did a few more tests but that would've made this image too wide and I figured I'd skim it down, three was enough I guess. Is it just me, or a few years back, wasn't there like a boom in GI tuts all over the net, but they weren't explaining anything about MR? Just click here and click there.

Benny, grats, lol now all you have to do is tweak that and add the glow in post. Personally I rather map the ambient, boost the incandescence just a wee bit, and crank up the FG scale settings rather than hiking up the incandescence too much.

- Genny
# 25 10-09-2008 , 06:03 PM

Originally posted by GecT
Neo, I actually did a few more tests but that would've made this image too wide and I figured I'd skim it down, three was enough I guess. Is it just me, or a few years back, wasn't there like a boom in GI tuts all over the net, but they weren't explaining anything about MR? Just click here and click there.

Yeah there was, there were tutorials everywhere on GI but only fuzzy parts on how everything worked!

# 26 10-09-2008 , 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
Haha, I knew my memory wasn't failing me. It brought a bunch of car renders just like Zbrush did for monsters. I also recall an issue people were having because some guy took back orders from a bunch of people for a MR DVD he was making, DVD never got made and the guy disappeared. Ahh memories.

- Genny
# 27 10-09-2008 , 06:27 PM
there still really aren't many out there that say 'oh yea this slider here does this, and here's what it looks like low, here's what it looks like turned up a bit, and here's what it looks like turned up too high'...

those are the ones that actually help someone learn the ins and outs of the program... the others just show you how to do what they did.

Accept no substitutions.
# 28 10-09-2008 , 07:41 PM
Theres a few digital tutors MR ones that are pretty good, they go through everything in detail.

Ahhh, the renders.

# 29 10-09-2008 , 10:48 PM
I guess I'm late to the party (what else is new?) but regarding the "glow map", what I've done in the past for, say, things like small lights in distant skyscrapers or on a starship or whatever else is create the texture map in photoshop, then, create a grayscale version and plug that into the incandescence slot. Then, you can use the alpha gain to control how "hot" the glow is. This won't illuminate the scene, though but it does work well for general effect.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 30 11-09-2008 , 04:30 AM
19 year Veteran

GecT: Wrote

Benny you only need to turn on FG in Mental Ray to get the shader to illuminate, no need for a photon emitting light (just make sure you uncheck the use default lighting option in the general tab of the render settings) As THX said boosting the incandescence will help, you have to watch it with that though or it'll create hot spots and still may not illuminate as much as you want, and that's when you'll need to pull it back some and boost the FG scale in the render settings (those numbers depend on the scene scale, so its a lil trial and error).

user added image :p