Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 13-10-2008 , 08:50 PM

Default lighting with "right shoulder" light

I am creating some animations for parts being assembled by importing them as IGES files from CAD software. It looks best with the lighting and color scheme similar to the CAD software, which the default lighting does best. My only gripe with the default lighting is that it doesn't seem to have any "right shoulder" light at all. For example, if you're looking at a block with a corner facing the camera, the right side face will always be pitch black while the top/bottom and left side are illuminated.

Is there an option to add/turn on a right shoulder light to the default lighting? Can I recreate the default lighting and throw in the right shoulder? At the time I'm left messing with a number of ambient lights...

# 2 13-10-2008 , 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
The default lighting in Maya is just a directional light and is automatically disabled when you create a light, you can use spotlights or directional lights, ambient lights can help when you're modeling but come render time they tend to flatten out the lighting so most people avoid them.

- Genny