Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 20-10-2008 , 02:40 PM

Problem with rig...

So this is my first rig, it is going pretty good but I have a problem when I try to move the knee (and ankle), what happens is the knee and leg just stretch out instead of acting like a joint.
heres a pic:
user added image

Last edited by 0Dudeman0; 20-10-2008 at 02:42 PM.
# 2 20-10-2008 , 04:22 PM
Joints should only be rotated unless they are the root joint (the first join in a chain).

# 3 20-10-2008 , 04:34 PM
ah ok thanks user added image, but I just came across another problem, when I rotate the arm joints part of the body gets kinda sucked out with it and I don't knoe why. user added image

# 4 20-10-2008 , 04:44 PM
Super Moderator
Sounds like you need to paint some skin weights.

- Genny
# 5 21-10-2008 , 03:13 PM
How would I go about doing that? Here is a pic to illustrate my problem:

Last edited by 0Dudeman0; 28-10-2008 at 10:16 PM.
# 6 21-10-2008 , 07:28 PM
Subscriber
yeah dude, looks like you softbinded your skin, which means you have weights to paint

select your mesh
in the animation menu set go
Skin > Edit Smooth Skin > Paint Skin Weights Tools > []

check out the maya tutorial help (Help > Maya Help > Learning Resources > Tutorials > Character Setup > Lesson 2 Smooth Skinning) for smooth skinning in action

heh, if this was XSI you could just grab the vertecies and click local reassign and then on the joint and you're problem would be solved

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 7 22-10-2008 , 11:13 AM
Yay! it worked! user added image now I got one more question, and I don't wanna make a new thread for it lol, I wanna model a arm (just as a practice exercise) and I am wondering if there is a way to ad vertex points also I would like to know if you can lock other vertex points so that when you move your selected ones the rest of the object is unaffected so I don't keep getting creases.. hope that makes sense :S.... user added image

# 8 23-10-2008 , 03:34 AM
Subscriber
you want to model an unweighted arm?

add vertex: use split polygon tool (read up on it's capablities)

second query doesn't make much sense user added image
maybe post a picture?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 9 28-10-2008 , 01:21 AM
ok now i'm making a run cycle, but I can't raise the whole character without him going all weird, lol and a run cycle with no height is lame! xD
user added image
sorry for all my stupid questions, I hope they aren't getting too annoying :S