Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 14-03-2009 , 01:07 PM

Realistic Metal Problems

Hello,

I've been working on this project for 3 months now and I'm nearing the end and doing some touch ups. One of my problems is that my metal texture just doesn't feel like metal. I used a phong to make the texture. The reflectivity of the metal is a big part of the problem I feel as it isn't distorted at all. Could anyone give me some suggestions on how this problem can be fixed? I don't really understand much about refractions but I believe that's in the process of the solution.

Thank you.

user added image

# 2 14-03-2009 , 01:44 PM
The Nurb Herd
you need to add reflection blur.

# 3 14-03-2009 , 01:57 PM
Could you explain to me a little on how the reflection blur, blur limit, and blur rays work? Or do you know of a tutorial that may help me?

# 4 14-03-2009 , 03:57 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Its not a case of just adding reflection blur. Its no use giving an advanced tip when its clear the basics arent there.

You have to ask the question - 'what type of metal am I trying to achieve?'

As at the moment its just a shader with full reflectivity causing the whole object to basically look like chrome. Have a look around google at different metals. Some metals like aluminium dont reflect at all they just have a very matted specular spread. By adding a good texture to the object as well will help sell it as being metal, not just by giving it a shader.

Jay

# 5 14-03-2009 , 04:44 PM
The Nurb Herd
a fair point jay, I was just being a lazy hung over bum. :p

# 6 14-03-2009 , 04:56 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
LOL you are forgiven LOL

J