Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 14-01-2003 , 10:15 PM

Ugly texture sliding and stretching

Me again,

(how come i'm suddenly the asking part user added image)

How do I avoid the ugly texture sliding and stretching in a bulging and waving nurbs surface? Check this animation and see what I mean. The weird looking currents are caused by this...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 2 14-01-2003 , 10:34 PM
The Maya Mountain
cool. user added image

You might need a Texture Reference object for your surface. Select your surface, and under the Render Menues, Texturing > Create Texture Reference Object.

That's what it looks like anyway. I may be mistaken. It's looking cool! user added image

# 3 14-01-2003 , 10:45 PM
what is a texture ref object?

:-)
# 4 14-01-2003 , 10:57 PM
The Maya Mountain
It apparantly interacts with 3D textures in some manner that keeps them from "sliding" over the surface. You almost have to use them when dealing with animating a surface with 3D textures applied.

I'm not sure if kbrown's situation is using 3D textures or not, but the results are very similar.

# 5 14-01-2003 , 11:08 PM
I am using now (after reading what the online help had to say about these thingies) user added image.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 6 14-01-2003 , 11:15 PM
I knew there had to be an easy answer. Thanks mate!

I've been banging my head on this the whole night user added image. Tried some really odd ways and got some rather interesting results (which didn't resemble an ocean at all) user added image...

Thanks!

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 7 14-01-2003 , 11:38 PM
The Maya Mountain
cool, hope it works for you. user added image

# 8 15-01-2003 , 08:04 PM
Oh dear... one obstacle behind, another one ahead.

Everything seemed to be working ok except... batch renderer gives different results than the render view in maya.

I was wondering why wasn't my textures moving even if i animated the place3dTexture nodes. Then I discovered that in the maya render view they do move but when batch rendered they don't... sound's like a bug to me... anyone? user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 9 15-01-2003 , 08:33 PM
The Maya Mountain
that does sound strange

hmmmm....

# 10 15-01-2003 , 09:21 PM
I found a solution. It seems that the batch renderer does not handle expressions. The place3dTexture movement was driven by an expression but now I just keyframed them and it works... phew...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 11 15-01-2003 , 10:03 PM
The Maya Mountain
ah... still, I would think the batch render would take expressions into account. It does sound like a buggy thing.