Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 30-04-2009 , 02:38 AM

Maya hair + MR+FG + Phys Sun/Sky = Problem!

I'm trying to render a scene with maya hair, using mental ray with final gathering and mental ray in-build function to create a physical sun/sky. But the hair gets some really werid results, no where near even a bad result (worse than bad), have no idea how to fix it!! Its gets all white and black no between colours. I thought the contrast was to high,but no. It is an issue that happens only with FG turned on.

Anyone knows a good solution for this?????
Or there is no solution, searched at google but couldn't come across a way to solve.

Thx!!!

Last edited by bluemana; 30-04-2009 at 03:22 AM.
# 2 30-04-2009 , 12:19 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
fg is a global type render, and adding a physical sky also brings in a directional light if I am correct in thinking. So either turn the light intensity down or lower the intensity of the fg. then go from there, also read the help files on the different controls for each of these

You have to tweak settings on the hair materials too, its not just a case of hit the render button and its done, everything needs tweaks no matter what

J

# 3 30-04-2009 , 02:32 PM
Hey Guys,

Jays right, you need to have a mess with the settings.

On a side note the MR sun and sky brings in a directional light like Jay said but it dosent contribue to the lighting in the scene, its connected in to a MR sun, and it uses the directionals direction to determine the values of the sun.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle