Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 08-05-2009 , 04:15 PM

Ares City Webnovel

Hi,

This is one of several scenes I created along with a website for a client recently.

user added image

It is an ongoing project and I will be adding more scenes in the future.

Cheers

-Gio

Gio

Creator of The Talos Project

# 2 08-05-2009 , 08:48 PM
Looks dam fine matey!

The only thing that I could crit would be the DOF and the amount of it kinda makes it look like a miniture town model if you get what I mean.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 08-05-2009 , 08:51 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Nice render as I said before mate, Im not a big fan of architectural renders because of the squeaky cleanliness and all year round green trees, they make it look like a miniature, its almost a cliche within that market, but nice work anyway!! See you sunday!

Jay

# 4 08-05-2009 , 09:27 PM
nice job mate - this looks very cool. i like the model a lot and i think it's working well in the environment... apart form the clouds. is it just me? they seem maybe too big or a little off in the perspective....

# 5 09-05-2009 , 12:11 AM
Well as I did it in about 2 days I used whatever tricks were needed to get it out. It's not an architectural render, just a setting for the story in a webnovel and I had to create a whole cityscape with it after and website. No budget for proper trees.

I was trying out Ozone 4 beta, so the clouds were simulated in the scene and therefore hard to get to do what I wanted, plus there are a few bugs in the beta which were slightly annoying. I prob won't use it further and may actually make a new sky in Terragen and replace it later on when I come back to the project to do part 2 later in the year.

I wasn't overly sure about the foreground tree myself, in terms of the blur on it but I needed to cover a section of the image as there wasn't time to put more detail in there.
It's not an officially launched site yet and this image may change in the future when the rest is developed so I may get the chancet to fix it up how I would like it to be but it's up to the client's choices at the end of the day.

Anyway, now I'm on to animating a dancing packet of crisps...

Gio

# 6 09-05-2009 , 12:24 AM
Subscriber
I think it is a tightly modeled scene. Textures look good and the buildings look very modern, maybe beyond modern. All together it's a nice job, well done. I dig the catwalks and the triangular view room (not sure that is what you would call it, the design above the catwalks).

# 7 09-05-2009 , 09:12 AM
LOL yeah I know its not an architectural render, Im just not a fan of these types of images as a whole, the glass building with trees in a perfect work visualisation...you know what I mean...its such a cliched style...it triggers off migraines LOL. 3d world sometimes do an accompanying magazine with this stuff in...it usually goes straight in the bin LOL

I'll pay you a hand full of girly giggles to sort the tree. Is it the usual image on plane job, it looks like it.

Jay

# 8 09-05-2009 , 12:11 PM
rbrtsn: Glad you like it and the view room things, I don't know what to call them either, but this area is called the Crytalline Towers as the brief so went with angular designs and so on. The lower levels may get reworked later as this section of the story isn't writtin but in order to get the cityscape shot done this building needed to be built first as it featured in the skyline.

Jay: I'm not a big fan either but if a client pays me to do it, then I do it. The clean look in many of them is purely down to time contraints as usually trees, people and street level detail take the longest to get right so usually get tacked on as clients prob ask for the building and then go 'can we have some tree and peolpe' at the end to which your inner dude would say f*** off, but not a professional response so a simple solution to keep everyone happy is 2D fudge.

The tree were just wacked in with Photoshop in post. Wanted to get back to the main city shot as the street level wouldn't be seen in it anyway.

Cheers

-Gio

Gio

# 9 09-05-2009 , 04:00 PM

I'm not a big fan either but if a client pays me to do it, then I do it. The clean look in many of them is purely down to time contraints as usually trees, people and street level detail take the longest to get right so usually get tacked on as clients prob ask for the building and then go 'can we have some tree and peolpe' at the end to which your inner dude would say f*** off, but not a professional response so a simple solution to keep everyone happy is 2D fudge.

LOL well yeah thats freelancing mate we all have to deal with that stuff, we arent of the Nashvitz ilk are we, where YOU tell the client what they need to do LOL.

you wanna hear some of the 'asks' the directors and producers want where Im at right now. you'd s**t a brick 10 fold and just laugh. Its just crazy. So I know where you are coming from dude.

architecture, glass, reflections....aahhhh it burns us precious!!!

J

# 10 18-05-2009 , 07:24 PM
Banned
Can't look thru Camera!

When I try to look thru a perspective camera that I've created, I get the following error:
C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2008/scripts/others/lookThroughModelPanel.mel line 44: Too few arguments given. //