Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 15-01-2003 , 09:50 PM
Subscriber

Procedural shaders... um... what's that???

Although making texture maps can be quite rewarding, I wonder how one can make a procedural shader.

I understand procedural shaders as shaders opposed to "regular" texture-mapped shaders. It would be nice to have a marble shaders, or a brick wall shader, without making the texture file.

Is it hard to make a good procedural shader and last, how do I make one?

I'll go search about this topic on the web, but please feel free to share your knowledge. I'd love to learn about procedural shaders!

# 2 15-01-2003 , 10:04 PM
The Maya Mountain
Procedural shaders are shaders built using only the Maya-provided textures and materials, and no file textures created in (for example) Photoshop or something.

Usually, the realy high quality procedural shaders make heavy use of utility nodes and other such advanced objects. Try downloading some of the shaders here and at other sites like www.highend3d.com and taking a look at their networks for some inspiration.

# 3 15-01-2003 , 10:11 PM
Subscriber
Thanks I'll go have a look see mtkckinley!

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 4 27-01-2003 , 12:23 AM
undseth: ur a max user too? reckon u mentioning the brick shader

:-)
# 5 27-01-2003 , 12:35 AM
Is it hard? Yes it is if you ask me. I've been working on my ocean shader (no, not the fluid effects one but my own) for many days. Slowly getting there though. Normal workflow goes like this:

Create shader network, render, tweak, render, tweak, batch render, curse, tweak more, render, start over... user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 6 27-01-2003 , 12:55 AM
Subscriber
Haha kbrown!

Pitbull:
hehe no I though of "FormZ" which is a 3d software that has a special material for bricks.

I have toyed around 3dmax and 3dviz but did never figure it out. I found the stacking a bit confusing.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!