Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 06-08-2009 , 06:47 PM
Ironegg

OMG? What does this mean?

OOOOOKKAAYYYY, so what does this mean? I just converted from polygons to sub-divisions after performing the forsaken Union operation. It seemed alright so i cleaned it up. Then i went in there and decided to stitch together some vertices to close the gap a tad bit more- and well this is the frankenstein product...

Input? PLEASE? HAha, wow i feel really lame, i thought i had it, i thought i did, but nope. Im beat.

The attached file has the polygon form that i converted from, and then the sub-ds that came out of it. its the foot thats acting all funky. i dont know why it keep giving me all these holes. I've gone into mesh - cleanup and i've done everything the script editor says, but the outcome never changes.

Attached Files
File Type: zip dragon temp.zip (232.7 KB, 159 views)
# 2 06-08-2009 , 07:55 PM
Lifetime Member
If you examine the foot where the two toes meet, you'll see there is an edge connecting the bottom and top of the foot. This edge and resulting face needs to be deleted. This should stop Maya trying to create a vortex like effect when you convert. See image.

Attached Thumbnails

Poly-pushing on a '96 SGI O2
# 3 07-08-2009 , 02:46 AM
Ironegg
Ok THANKS Halfloaf! That DID allow me to convert, however unfortunate though im still experiencing this vortex-like behavior. So i went in there and straightened out some of the edges and hoping it would remedy some of the problem but that didnt seem to cut it.

So I attached the later version now with the face deleted- which I believeis the correct one- and some neater lines.

The problem im having now (if you dont mind helping again user added image is this one point where a bunch of vertices converge, or rather SHOULD be converging. Its the same area where the face that you told me o delete was. Everytime i want to convert now script editor tells me to cleanup so i comply, and then it highlights these vertices all seperated. Even after i merge them they just come apart.

So this file i have seperated the vertices out so you can see them if you want- I've tried converging them but i still get these holes.

So again thank you so much for your time, and anyone who is willing to help- suggestions are very much appreciated!!

P.S ( i had to save just the leg part of the dragon because the file was so huge.) Let me know if there's more to the problem)

Attached Files
File Type: zip leg-dragon.zip (147.1 KB, 139 views)
# 4 07-08-2009 , 08:23 PM
Lifetime Member
Is this what you're after? All you had to do was joint the verts. I suspect you may have been trying to join verts on opposite sides of the mesh. Anyway, I've converted it to sub-d's and it converts OK...No holes.

Jacques

edit:spelling

Attached Files
File Type: zip leg-dragon_fix.mb.zip (157.6 KB, 152 views)

Poly-pushing on a '96 SGI O2
# 5 09-08-2009 , 03:15 AM
Ironegg
Excellent it worked. Thank you very much. I thought i was merging all the vertices but i missed a few. Yeah i just wasnt gettin 'em all. Thank you for your help- i can proceed now.