Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 13-09-2009 , 10:00 AM
Subscriber

Tim Bloody Burton taking credit for another animation

What is with this guy man. He keeps putting his name over other peoples work.

Bewared super moan here .....................

9 is a new film by Shane Acker which is based on his short which won best at show at siggraph 2005 (which is were I first saw it) and was also nominated for an oscar in 2006.

A bunch of new still were released this week and on all of them it has "Tim Burtons 9" splattered all over them. Now having him on board must have been a boost but this is not his film. Its not his story, he`s not on the animating team (those years at disney not working for him then) and its not his characters.

What gets me is this is not the first time he makes out he`s this great Director?Animator of feature film Animation - "A Nightmare Before Christmas" and "Corpse Bride" are both known as his films, and pepole even talk about "Tim Burton style animation". What style - let aload of people do the work then take all the credit.

He`s like Cartman in that new ep of southpark were he took the credit for the invention of a joke (Gay Fish -the one with Mr West in it)

Now granted he wrote and storyboard Nightmare - but then the screen play was not him, was not the director, and did not animate. I suppose this is the closest he`ll get to having a animated movie that is his - I see now why soooo many work with him once then never speak about it ever again (talking non actors here)

Shane Acker has worked had at becoming a 3d film maker and I think its a little harsh his name is not on the posters and Tim`s is. Timur Bekbambetov is another producer on the film and his name was missing as well (he did wanted).

Peter Jackson presents "District Nine" is a perfect way to sell the film of someone else`s name. You know its not his film persay but he was involved some way and endorses the film introducing Neill Blomkamp as a great director.

Now I know why Kevin Smith calls him out on his DvD - he guy sucks man and cheats his way to make the world think he`s a animation god, well not me Mr Burton - your a slug.

https://www.shaneacker.com/ - the real maker of this wonderful looking film

Last edited by tweetytunes; 13-09-2009 at 10:11 AM.
# 2 13-09-2009 , 10:17 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
They had a thing in 3d world about it, Shane Acker said it was to try and get more people to see the film

# 3 13-09-2009 , 10:34 AM
Subscriber
Then it should be "Tim Burton + Timur Bekbambetov presents a Shane Acker film" not "Tim Burtons 9"

# 4 13-09-2009 , 12:17 PM
yes...you dont sound not non double negative
its a marketing scheme. most people knows the short "9" already.
tim is a great director i think, unique style. i dont think he is a arrogant prick at all, he respected and a humble guy

level 3 luchador!

image dump
# 5 13-09-2009 , 09:09 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yeah its like Vlad says, Burton's name is being used here to sell it, nobody would give a toss otherwise about Shane Acker. I'm sure Acker isn't complaining.

He doesn't make out he's anything, he's a damn good director and he's proved it, he doesn't whine or brag, he gets on with the job in hand. And lets face it, he rarely makes a shit movie

J

# 6 13-09-2009 , 11:08 PM
EduSciVis-er
Yeah, obviously having his name on this movie gives it a real boost in popularity and more people will see it. Though I think it should really say something like what tweety said, Tim Burton presents a Shane Acker film or something.

I must admit that I hadn't heard of the short before I saw the trailer, and I really thought this was a Tim Burton creation, but after I saw the short (and was really blown away) I realized that it's all Shane Acker's vision here.

EDIT: Has anyone seen "The Hangnail" by him? Haha... yeah.

# 7 13-09-2009 , 11:16 PM
Subscriber
Im not saying he`s an ok director (really great - charlie and choc, Planet of apes) I love edward sizz and sleepyhollow, but hes making out hes an animation wonder kid and as I said the "tim burton style animation" thing is the biggest problem I have - Last thing he animated himself was for disney.

# 8 14-09-2009 , 07:25 PM
The Maya Mountain
It's the same in any genre of entertainment... Sid Meir's Pirates, American McGee's Alice, etc.

# 9 17-09-2009 , 10:29 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
thats sad so so sad it looks to be a great movie though

# 10 17-09-2009 , 12:42 PM
yes...you dont sound not non double negative
im sorry... im not defending tim, but in all the trailers and imdb, in all the promo adds, they say [ or write] "from Producer Tim Burton" not director.
again they are using his name in the ads and promos or attaching his name to this film as a marketing strategy. Tim produced the film, he thought it was good enough to turn it into a feature, so he knows if he didnt attach his name to it this movie would epic fail. because face it, any 3d animated feature that arent from bluesky, pixar, or dreamworks tend to not do well at the box office. so Tim is taking a risk himself by attaching his name to this, because up until now no one even knew Shane Acker, let alone seen the original short film.

---

not to be pessimistic, i dont think this movie will do well at the box office either way; its not like 9 [the original short] had a following to begin with, and the story is not even original, and the art style will not appeal to everyone its just not what we are accustom to seeing of 3d animation features.

level 3 luchador!

image dump
# 11 17-09-2009 , 01:18 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Well hot damn this is uncanny....

my colleague here at work has just bumped into Tims wife (Helena Bonham Carter) on his lunch break. They were at a crossing on Oxford street, he said she was humming to herself minding her own business. He said it was a very surreal moment

Cheers
Jay