Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 28-09-2009 , 01:27 PM
Subscriber

Reflection map question?

Hi Guys,

This might be a rookie question, but does anyone know how to create a reflection map for objects in Maya?

Also it has to be a TGA file.

Cheers

# 2 28-09-2009 , 01:52 PM

# 3 28-09-2009 , 08:20 PM
Subscriber
Hi Dango 77, thanks for information this is a good tutorial but I am just confusted with some of the info found in the introdution.

If you have time please could you explain the follow:

By the way you have a cool portfolio.

This is a small tutorial about adding reflection maps in targetland. Before you start on this, please make sure that this feature is enabled.

??? You can enable it in the gui (settings, video, graphics, environment map : 1 ) or by editing your config.txt by changing the following line: Environment Map = 1. Afaik it's enabled by default. ???

???The second step will be creating a 'skn' subfolder in the ac's root folder (if there isn't one). I worked on the P47 for TT, so the location will be:
..\Targetware\data\tt\planes\p47\skn . This will be your working directory. ???

Cheers

# 4 28-09-2009 , 08:24 PM
Subscriber
you know... you can just make a greyscale image and plug that into the reflection slot...

reflection only has one scalar value, so it will only give predictable results if the image is greyscale

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 28-09-2009 , 10:47 PM
Hi Anthony,

Yeah, sorry, I forgot to write in the last post to ignore the start part of the tutorial, as that's to do with using reflection maps in games, just to take the basic principles that it shows to making the maps, maybe it wasn't the best tutorial to post.

But the basics are there in that tutorial, that one shows more how to block parts of your model from receiving reflections, if you want to know about creating a reflection map to show reflections that aren't actually from geometry, and are based on an image,here's a couple of other tutorials that may help.

https://www.persistentvisions.com/Tut...ection_map.pdf

https://www.3dtutorialzone.com/tutorial?id=8

# 6 29-09-2009 , 08:05 PM
Subscriber
BIG THANKS GUYS!!

Yep, I have been playing around with the shaders by using the tutorials you sent me, and I have a better understanding of how it works.

Here's a render from playing around with the environment sphere, but I will keep lerning to master it.

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails