Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 02-02-2010 , 04:25 AM

backface culling

So I recently found out about backface culling which I am thankful for finding, however when I was done using the backface culling for polygons, I turned it off in the scene I was using, saved the scene, then reopened it to find the backface culling was still active. When I opened a new new I make a quick polygon object to see if the backface culling was still active and It was not.

I went ahead and again opened the scene Im working on and the culling was still on, and no I dont have the shaders backface culling on either.

When I do render the scene, the backface culling isnt active, its just when I'm trying to work on the scene. So I'm guessing this setting is somehow saved into the file, how can I get rid of the culling? Thanks to anyone who can help!!

# 2 02-02-2010 , 07:54 AM
The Nurb Herd
turn it off again... or on and off again (if you haven't tried that already). Your preferences may not have been saved before you quit.

# 3 03-02-2010 , 03:45 AM
I have opened the scene, turned culling off, saved the scene, closed it, reopened it, tried turning culling back on and off while reopening and closing each time, I have been successful with new scenes and even new geometry in the "problem scene" and it has worked, but its the original geometry that has been in the problem scene " my truck" that still has culling on. user added image user added image

# 4 03-02-2010 , 11:52 AM
The Nurb Herd
perhaps you have unchecked double sided in the render stats.

# 5 04-02-2010 , 10:27 PM
hmm, ill check but would the render stats effect my perspective and orthographic views? even though i'm not rendering?

# 6 04-02-2010 , 10:47 PM
The Nurb Herd
yeah... well it might not be in that section, but the thing i'm thinking about does.

# 7 04-02-2010 , 11:33 PM
EduSciVis-er
I believe hammer's right, it's under render stats, though it applies to your viewport too.

# 8 05-02-2010 , 02:56 PM
Ok, I checked all of the geometry and they all have doublesided

checked.

I'm positive that it is the backface culling. I made a new

plane, checked the backface culling on, saved, exited, opened

again, checked backface culling off, saved,exited, opened again,

and the plane still have the culling on.

So I'm not exactly sure what to do to turn it back off?

# 9 24-05-2011 , 12:18 AM
Total noobz
How do you turn off backface culling anyway?

# 10 21-08-2011 , 02:43 PM
I know this is kind of a necro but I just found out how to fix it myself after a somewhat annoying hunt and this thread was one of the top google results for the issue so I thought id post an answer :3 anyway.

If you start having trouble turning off backface culling then do this.

Select your object in object mode. Go into attribute editor and go to your surface shape and down to "mesh component display". click on the backface culling drop down list and switch it to off.
This will allow you to do it without that silly save and re-open thing.