Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 12-02-2010 , 01:30 PM
Subscriber

Algerian Palace, Expedition of 1878

Good morning everyone. I have started another project. I wasn't sure if I would continue with this, but think I will. I don't have a camera or lights for the scene just yet. So this update was from the Perspective Window. I will post a picture of progress the next post.

I had seen this picture on a free texture site I go to. It interested me and I have been fooling with it for a couple of days. Good to be busy!!

Dave had suggested a vehicle or aircraft from Avatar. I think I would like to do the Scorpion, but didn't get to see the movie, as my girlfriend got snowed in, and there is not enough reference for it yet.

Attached Thumbnails

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 2 12-02-2010 , 01:31 PM
Subscriber
And this is my progress so far.

Have a GOOD weekend!!!

Attached Thumbnails

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 3 12-02-2010 , 02:01 PM
The thin red line
Hi Tom
Nice start, this is manly texturing. Look farward to your progress..............dave

# 4 12-02-2010 , 05:27 PM
Looking good OHT. Looking forward to the texturing as well.

Cheers,

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 5 12-02-2010 , 07:36 PM
Subscriber
Many thanks guys!! I have looked at the stairs and they didn't seem proportioned very well. I worked on them and the arch entry had to be moved back then, I belive. I hope to have an update soon.

I have my fingers crossed and hope the texture goes as planned. But I do make a fool out of myself sometimes, and may once again. But will give it a shot!!

# 6 14-02-2010 , 01:32 AM
Subscriber
Good evening once again!! Well, time for a glass of wine and relax. I wanted to post an update on my project. This is where I am so far. I have a bit more modeling and then need to get everything UVed. Hopefully the modeling will be done next update.

It is a Saturday evening here and I wish that you all are, or have, enjoyed your evenings!!

Attached Thumbnails

# 7 14-02-2010 , 05:27 PM
The thin red line
Hi Tom
Dont know if it matters but the second step from the bottom should extend over on both sides, looking good........dave

# 8 14-02-2010 , 07:56 PM
Subscriber
Gotcha!! But you think the proportions of the steps look ok?

Thanks Dave for your thoughts!!

Done modeling and soon some color on it!

Hope your weekend has been good. Been in the mid 80's here (30 Celsius). I'm bad, I know!!

# 9 15-02-2010 , 02:43 PM
Acid44
holy crap, old hippie's still around!

i dont know much about architectural modeling but that's looking good man

user added image

# 10 15-02-2010 , 03:22 PM
Subscriber
HaHaHa!! Yes, my heart has not given up quite yet Acid!! Still have wine and smokes to finish first!! ;-)

Thank you for the kind words about my work. You have always been, thank you!!

# 11 17-02-2010 , 01:12 AM
Subscriber
Evening everyone. Wanted to post an update to my project. It has some color now and may not be as boring. I will start on all of the brick that goes in the entry next. I hope to go back and add some bump mapping and stuff to break it up a little. This has been, and is, fun!

Dave, a question if you will? In the back and the upper right center part of the building is a color that is not grey. Hope you see what I am talking about. But, I would like to use that for the background in the upper left and right and the back of the entrance. It is a falloff between Desert Sand (254,232,214) and Sand Stone (167,141,132). I did not use it as I have found if I like a color, being color blind, that it is reason to get an opinion as it is generally ugly. And with colors, I can work with them if they are numbers.

Hope all have had a good evening and think I will have a glass of wine and relax!!

Link to Original Render (1200X900):

https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...thOriginal.png

Attached Thumbnails

# 12 17-02-2010 , 07:51 AM
The thin red line
Hi Tom
Looking good tom, not sure about the colour in the middle but the colour iver side of the top of the painting look good they of set the white nicely.The have a little ramp going on. If not sure about colour make a ramp in photoshop and use the paint dropper tool to get the top and bottom then post it here will let you know...........dave

# 13 17-02-2010 , 02:18 PM
Subscriber
Good morning!

Dave, thank you for your patience! I should have just shown what color I had come up with in the first place. Here is a render with it (He presents it sheepishly).

And thank you for liking the progress I have made!!

Attached Thumbnails

# 14 17-02-2010 , 02:35 PM
The thin red line
Hi Tom
I would stick with the origenal colour of the painting, using a darker tone as you have picked will destract from the main painted panels but you can give it a try and change later, I do like how clean your texturing is...............dave

# 15 17-02-2010 , 04:25 PM
Subscriber
Thank you Dave, once again. Will come up with something more pleasing I hope!!

And thank you for the nice words about my work Dave.