Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 25-02-2010 , 06:33 AM
Lifetime Member
Bahahah legend, I didnt have ANY computer up until a few years ago!!! We use civilCAD here in Western Australia and Carlson SurvCE on the PDA. I only just started using AutoCAD for object placement in 3D as civilCAD doesnt have it. You would remember measuring 'chains' (steel banded tape), spring balances, plumb bobs and optical squares??? Yeh I hate the office too BUT here in Oz they are all now computer reliant, especially now a lot of the stuff is GPS machine control i.e NO PEGS!!!!!! wwwooohhhhoooooo. Just sit down, DTM's etc and upload to the Digger/Grader etc and watch em go!

And legend we DONT have to design them really, we just input the data by hand and change it all AS IT NEVER works, bahahahaha. All these designers really dont have a clue!!

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 17 25-02-2010 , 06:51 AM
Subscriber
ohh man you missed out then.
I do remember chains and plum bobs, but we mainly went with a top-con gts 5186 i think it was, Nice piece of work, i shot over 6800 feet with it once on a sunny day, i basically aimed and hoped for the best with all the heat monkeys flowing off the ground.

The sub design's and things i did were basically " Here, run these chords in, run in this field data, draw the boundary, tie it in, and then give me ...as close to 500 lots as you can, the smallest can be no lower then 15,000 sq feet. 100 foot between curves on the road, and a min 25' radius on all r.o.w. curves. " ...ahh...those were the days..
i think i might move back to my old home town and see if my boss will put me back to work someday..

i loved the outdoors part because i got to see shit that i woudl never see any other way, towering waterfalls, mountains, rivers, cliffs, caves...a lot of nice nature. i actually have a lot of high rez pics on a disk that i took surveying so i could use them for either textures, or matte plates.

g-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 18 25-02-2010 , 07:23 AM
Lifetime Member
Yeh well the money is good for an Engineering Surveyor, not so for the Licensed guys (Land Surveyors). I have just bought a Trimble 5601 robotic and a Topcon Hiperlite GPS with PDA running Carlson, sweet machines mate!!! Up in the Northwest of my state the Sub contract guys are on $180-$200 AUS per hour, you do the math mate. 12 hour days, 28 days on (1 day off in the middle), lotsa money to be made here in good old Australia!!

I have looked at several more tutorials and they are definitely doing something I cant pick. The cursor is normal BUT they can pick vertex loops (not hull mode) and or groups of vertices at once??

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 19 25-02-2010 , 08:22 AM
Subscriber
i'm not a nurbs guy myself, but i'll take a look and see if i can figure it out for you over the course of the day tomorrow, i think I've still got kurts cartoon dog somewhere, if not i can re download it.

What part # of the tutorial are you seeing it in, help me narrow it down some please.

g-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 20 25-02-2010 , 08:39 AM
Lifetime Member
Part 2 legend, at 2.30 -3.10 mins into the tutorial, you can especially see it when he closes the vertices on the foot, he does it in lots of places, even like a ring loop on vertices.

bullet1968

# 21 25-02-2010 , 01:32 PM
I looked at the vid for you. He's not doing anything out of the ordinary - just simple drag/select. Could be the older vid quality that's making it look like he's not dragging. Also, if you make a selection, you can use all the arrow keys to move the selection up/down/left/right, same way with hulls.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 22 25-02-2010 , 03:20 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks Nitro,

I will try the arrow thing again. He must have a good eye for the vertex points I reckon??? I couldnt see the drag box in the vid mate, quality was for compression. Thank you but.

bullet1968

# 23 25-02-2010 , 03:37 PM
You get used to it after awhile. With poly verts, it's very noticeable when you manipulate one and easier to get a grasp on because they appear where they should on the mesh. CVs on the other hand seem like they're floating and because the objects are smooth already, editing them is more like working with soft selections and takes time to gain familiarity. Kurt's good with it as that's how he likes to model - create the basic shapes with NURBS then convert to poly and merge the verts. The benefit is that NURBS surfaces by default have the UVs mapped already which carryover when converted so less work when it comes time to texture. Of course, major editing of the poly object can throw that out the window.

In any case, in the vid segment you mentioned, he's just drag-selecting some CVs from the side view (which grab from both sides) and tweaking them. You'll see the pattern in how the CVs are laid out after awhile and figure out what you need to edit. Play around on your own to see what happens when you select 1 CV as opposed to specific groups of CVs. Observe how the mesh changes. Best way to learn.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 24 25-02-2010 , 05:26 PM
EduSciVis-er
As a side note, > < are grow and shrink selection respectively I believe. Exempli gratia, if you have one loop selected and hit >, it will also select one edge loop on either side of the current selection. I find that especially useful for round selections like the interior of cylinder caps, where a square marquee select doesn't work very well.

# 25 26-02-2010 , 12:31 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks Nitro and stwert. I may be trying to advance myself a little quick but its my nature to learn as much of the useful moves as I can.

Thanks all again

bullet1968