Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 76 18-05-2010 , 01:24 PM
Lifetime Member
your'e a bloody legend mate.

I made my own with PS and I thought it was ok, the fractal I think kinda spoiled it. I think the fatigue I did should have more defined edges too. It doesnt look right, I know they feather a little (overspray etc) but I think I went a bit heavy. I have to save up and buy a bloody tablet!!!

I had the brush set hard initially but changed the flow right down, if its one thing I have learnt making kits with a real brush is "many light layers are better".

He smudes and blurs a lot, I prefer to have the low flow and add then only smudge or blur a little.

cheers mate, champignon you!

I should get out the camera and take some photos, I am in the building game arent I ??? In fact I will from now on and put them in the resource area, just have to find the camera now.....LOL

Time for bed user added image :zzz:

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 77 18-05-2010 , 09:12 PM
Subscriber
sent you something but had to get rid of a couple of layers and reduce the res of the file down quite a lot, let me know if you get it.

free memory low..exception thrown
# 78 18-05-2010 , 09:45 PM
Lifetime Member
got it paldav

cheers for that

bulletuser added image

Im going to do the Olive green again, I dont like it as it is.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 79 20-05-2010 , 09:26 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
this is coming along really well i hope you get to finish it

# 80 20-05-2010 , 10:52 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks murambi!! Yeh I re-did the Olive green, I didnt like it with the fractal. I went and took some photos of roads/concrete etc and applied those textures instead in PS.

Here is my first test without the fractal applied, still playing with layers.

I will finish it mate, Im not giving up..LOL

I have a few seam errors, I dony know why, something to do with PS?? Im not sure but I will edit thos, for now the colouring association is the key.

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 81 25-05-2010 , 08:57 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
thanks for the tut man will play around with shaders and see what i can do

# 82 25-05-2010 , 09:38 PM
Lifetime Member
no worries mate

bullet1968

# 83 01-06-2010 , 08:35 AM
Lifetime Member
well you have all probably worked out by the lack of posts I havent touched the thing. I HATE painting, I seem to have mis matches on it as you can see from previous posts, I dont know why?? The UV's all lined up etc. I have also discovered I UV'd the tyres in a circular pattern along with some other shapes. I will now have to go back and re do the tyres etc, what a pain!!!! so they are layed out flat or linear if you know what I mean? Otherwise I wont be able to apply the correct texture and bump map it.

I assume I can just re UV what I need, copy the PSD across from the first one and delete the background layer and replace it with the new UV map??? I hopefully wont have to do it all again but the colours dont line up from the elevators to the main wing either.

Sincere apologies to myself (after kicking my own head with my good leg, twice even) and anyone who was watching. Its my first model and I was hoping for it to be a good one, at this stage it aint and Im frustrated at my lack of skills and planning. I am normally a better planner when it comes to models (of the kit kind).

self destruction sequence enabled : biological organism explosion immenent.

cheers with tears bullet:headbang: user added image

bullet1968

# 84 01-06-2010 , 10:18 AM
The thin red line
Hi Bullet
I dont know if you have some of your uvs flipped (if they are flipped will be highlighted in red), you can check bye using the button highlighted below, you can also fix the seams colour by using the maya paint tool, just with your texture on go to rendering, texture,paint tool (use the clone brush to pick the colour from you texture)........hope this helps .....dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 85 01-06-2010 , 10:56 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi dave,

yeh thanks mate, I have attached a pic, I think I have them flipped???? Something that wasnt in the tutorial that I can remember? Still you cant fit all of the info into one vid.

Yeh I have used clone tool in PS heaps before, I assume its similar??
Thanks heaps mate, I am losing inspiration here, you have got me back on my knees at least! (No dirty minded jokes either g-man). LOL

I shall await your reply guru dave

cheers bullet

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4090628/SM/daverave_UV_flip.JPG

PS the tyres seem ok, thank heaven

bullet1968

# 86 01-06-2010 , 12:32 PM
The thin red line
Hi Bullet
It looks messy but I think you can fix it, select the shells then use the scale tool to in the U direction to put them as they were then flip the shells with the button highlighted in the u direction............dave

Check that you have uv for one side on the right side (are the ones highted in red on one side of your model?)

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by daverave; 01-06-2010 at 12:36 PM.
# 87 01-06-2010 , 12:51 PM
Lifetime Member
bahahahah thanks mate!!! I thought it was neatly layed out you cad!

Yhe I know how to flip em dude, done that one before. I thought I had them all done correctly as I was checking the persp window and checking the UV's were on the right surface and side. I must have flipped them when duplicating as Kurt did and not double checked.

Sorry its not real or that flash but I had to knock it up quick.

cheers bullet

I will check them again tonight if I can stay awake, Thanks again dave

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 88 01-06-2010 , 01:20 PM
Lifetime Member
Didnt work dave,

it appears I have duplicated the UV's on the same side or something similar...dddaaaammnmnmnmnmnmnm

When I flip them one turns blue then the other turns red.........did I say damn yet??? friggin hell, I dont know how I did that one!!!

Ohhh well more bloody work:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 01-06-2010 at 01:24 PM.
# 89 01-06-2010 , 03:32 PM
Lifetime Member

bullet1968

# 90 01-06-2010 , 04:26 PM
The thin red line
Hi Bullet
I watched your vid a couple of times could not see how you selected the shell also a lot of ghosting, are you saying that once you flip the red one another shell flips also............dave
Edit.flip it as you did to turn blue then Use the scale tool to turn it in on its self to get it as it was

Last edited by daverave; 01-06-2010 at 04:39 PM.