Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 06-04-2010 , 12:56 PM

Originally posted by Mayaniac
To be honest, I like watching movies in 3D, watched Avatar in 3D (twice), and have watched Alice (which I thought was really good! new avatar material at least!) recently in 3D too.

How to Train Your Dragon was really good in 3D, as well.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 17 06-04-2010 , 03:04 PM
Subscriber
Then again that was made in 3d - not turned 3d to make more money - but I`m wanting to see that one as well. Ice Age 3 was good in 3D as well

# 18 06-04-2010 , 04:50 PM
EduSciVis-er
I saw Clash last night in 2D... didn't want to see it in 3D. Unfortunately the theatre kinda sucked and the left side of the screen was a bit out of focus.

As for the movie itself, I have to say that the monster fighting was fun and cool... but it didn't really have any emotional impact. It felt like they tried to get all the backstory, motives, and exposition out of the way in the first 10 minutes. The result of that is there's no real character development or emotional connection with the characters. All of a sudden some guy will show up and join the party and you're like, "ok, who are you now?"

So even if the movie's just a "popcorn movie" with lots of FX and monsters... if you don't care about the characters at all, there's no tension.

# 19 12-04-2010 , 08:30 AM
Subscriber
I have to say i was incredibly dissapointed with that movie. First reason was that i saw it in 3D. For all those on the fence DONT SEE THIS IN 3D!

The conversion was so terribly done i left with a headache (Avatar was just fine for me).
The fight scenes where made up of fast cuts that whilst working in 2D, dont translate to 3d in the slightest. I spent the whole time thinking 'what the crap is it i am looking at' because the magnificent 3D Creatures where turned into blurs and out of focus madness.

Yes the 3D (the maya kind - not the veiwing technology) was pretty cool, i was especially impressed by Hades and the Kracken.

I have to say though, the biggest slap to the face in that entire movie was SPOILER - they got rid of the owl!!!
How could they so blatantly give the fans of the origional a big giant 'f**k you' by literally giving 3 seconds of screen time to what 'COULD' have been the most exciting and convincing character of the film.

Whew... my rant is done!

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 20 12-04-2010 , 08:39 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Some Guy
I have to say though, the biggest slap to the face in that entire movie was SPOILER - they got rid of the owl!!!
How could they so blatantly give the fans of the origional a big giant 'f**k you' by literally giving 3 seconds of screen time to what 'COULD' have been the most exciting and convincing character of the film.

Here Here.

Have it in or don`t have it in - thats all they had to do - I was fine with the idea of it not being in it, but to do that to it was out of order.

Sorry Bubo deserved more

# 21 12-04-2010 , 04:34 PM
EduSciVis-er
**SPOLIER??**
Regarding the owl... I haven't seen the original, so when I saw Perseus pick up that mechanical owl thing and someone says "Oh, ignore that..." I expected it to come back in the film. When it didn't I had to conclude that either:
a) That was a random useless encounter that had no bearing on the film whatsoever

or

b) That was a nod to the original, and they've decided to explicitly exclude whatever adventure would result from not "ignoring that".

Either way, it didn't make sense and if it wasn't a nod to the original that fans of the original would appreciate, why was it there at all?

# 22 12-04-2010 , 04:41 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yes it was a nod to the original.

The actual idea itself of the owl came about because the films producers wanted an cute R2D2 type character in the film because of the success of Star Wars a couple of years earlier. Go figure that one, I hated the owl in the first movie, it just didnt work - the rest was fine

J

# 23 12-04-2010 , 07:22 PM
Yeah but it wasn't for bubo, Perseus never would've suceeded....c'mon...it was a gift from a goddess! user added image

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 24 12-04-2010 , 09:15 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
LOL yeah, I guess he saves the day like R2 saves everyones arses in Star Wars.

Well I must be getting too easy in my old age enjoying the film. I took my 12 year old and her friend to see it (twice now for me after the crew screening), they loved it, my wife didnt like the 3d though....her glasses kept falling off, must be her Avatar nose LOL

J