Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 46 23-08-2010 , 05:35 PM
The thin red line
No Ben
You need to fix those areas so zbrush checks it as a good mesh then project onto the good mesh, I am sure its the bad mesh that is the issue, try the zbrush integraty test on your mesh at the moment. The problem I had was a little tab of a poligon(non manfold geo I think they call it) If I new about it a clean up in maya would have been simple, only spotted in the UVs in maya...........dave

# 47 23-08-2010 , 09:13 PM
Subscriber
Had a little go at this in the end tonight David. Was much more straight forward than I thought, once I'd got my head around what tool I was projecting onto what and why etc. Worked a charm...the actual 'project all' bit. After a few exports and a couple of crashes, I got the normal map to render. Mixed results. The veins running over the wrists look better, and the wierd glitch on his face actually looks like it could sort of belong there, rather than being the error that it is and looked like before. On the flip side, several other bits look worse, less smooth, particularly on his pecs, and tensed forearm muscle. Either I may be able to combine elements of both in PS, or it may be worth going over some areas again in Z and trying some other normal map settings. I treated myself to a production render as the last one of the day.

Attached Thumbnails
# 48 23-08-2010 , 09:16 PM
EduSciVis-er
Good to hear you're making progress on the mapping. To be honest I'm not a huge fan of the red glow. Maybe because it doesn't seem to have a clear source?

# 49 23-08-2010 , 09:23 PM
The thin red line
Sorry Ben
Im with stwert on the red light thing, I liked the idea of blood less model, how did your projection look in zbrush.............dave

# 50 23-08-2010 , 09:34 PM
Lifetime Member
The concept sounds good mate....I hope you sort the troubles out!! I still reckon an underneath the jaw kinda light mate....you know likt the classic B&W fillums?? Keep it up!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 51 23-08-2010 , 10:14 PM
Subscriber
cheers. yeah, the red glow will at least be toned down, if not removed altogether. it looked ok at first i thought, but has become a bit overkill as more lights have been added. i guess its like his glowing rage emanating from deep inside his soul...or something!

the projection looked basically identical to the original. at lvl 6 it was starting to lose some definition in places anyway, but i had just a few too many polys to comfortably step up another level.

bullet. i started in that direction originally with the lighting, but im not happy with the hood at the moment, so will light that later when i am.

# 52 23-08-2010 , 10:27 PM
The thin red line
Ben this challenge is a open challenge you can texture render in zbrush then send that render to photoshop, should have thought of that before, I think you are on to a winner with your high detail model in zbrush that tick all the boxes for me..............dave

# 53 23-08-2010 , 11:31 PM
Lifetime Member
Fair enough ben...I see what you are saying with the soul light.....maybe make it glow from the chest area....or (Im going out on a limb here) make it B&W??? no colour...just a thought. You know scratchy film kinda look

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 54 24-08-2010 , 08:05 AM
I like this design ben, I agree with others bout the glowing head though.

Keep it up. user added image

# 55 24-08-2010 , 11:11 PM
Subscriber
thats quite a cool idea bullet, im not averse to making several images from this, which brings me onto...

dave, i actually did a polypaint on this in z but lost it. there were two routes i was thinking of taking, one the render out of z, and one z to maya, so i will probably still have a go at rendering layers from z alongside the maya route. theres a workflow outlined in the scott spencer book i have for this which id like to follow, and learn a bit more about adjusting materials and lights in z.

for the maya route, im thinking of the image im working on as like a film still. with like an alien type atmosphere/setting.i think im going to model a semi lit doorway and hall to the back left, and on the right im thinking of like a 'heeeeres johnny!!' moment, with some one on the other side of the glass, a screaming woman, or child, or something. i can see it in my head but not sure if it'll work in practice.

cheers speedy

# 56 24-08-2010 , 11:35 PM
Lifetime Member
Now that does sound cool ben....or have him coming out of the swimming pool with the darling Poodle dog dead floating in the water and father dear skewered to the garden shed with a pitchfork...bahahaha...jeez Im sick

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 57 25-08-2010 , 12:49 AM
Subscriber
howd you make the hood?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 58 25-08-2010 , 01:24 AM
Subscriber
liking the imagination bullet!

chirone: it was just a cylinder which i bent in half, starting from his neck, then going up and forward to his face. so, one opening of the cylinder was around his neck, and the other around his face. then i just added edge loops one by one adjusting verts as i went, knowing it could look pretty rubbish, cause, being cloth, i could push and pull it about in zbrush just about how i wanted.

# 59 25-08-2010 , 08:15 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
On to rendering already?

What are you going to do with the rest of the comp?

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 60 25-08-2010 , 09:24 PM
Subscriber
Ive got more to do, like model the/a set, and, as written above, may extend the picture on the right, possibly to include a second figure. Also like to maybe create a zbrush render of the character too.but I dont know, just taking it step by step and seeing where it goes. I will try and keep fleshing things out so I dont finish mega early.