Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 24-01-2003 , 10:45 PM

photorealistic rendering

Is it possible to achieve a good degree of photorealism with only the Maya rendering, without using Mental Ray?
What kind of impact does the resolution have?
I am using Maya PLE, so I can't use Mental Ray AND I am limited
in resolution. No matter how hard I try, my renderings look a little
"cartoonish". Is it me or is it PLE?

# 2 24-01-2003 , 11:09 PM
Show us some of your work in the WIP area and we'll comment and criticize on them. Maya's renderer is not propably the best but when handled correctly I don't see any reasons why it couldn't achieve photorealism.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 24-01-2003 , 11:17 PM
Subscriber
Silviapalara: If you can post a small pic, I'd love to post a suggestion or two.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 4 25-01-2003 , 12:07 AM
I have a suggestion, try using gi_joe, make the skylight a .1 intensity and make the ground intensity .05. If you're trying to use a scene where it's really bright, try using a point lightwith gi_joe. Give the point light ray traced shadows. if it's not really bright, you want to use a depth map shadow with a dbias around 6 with a resolution of around 2000-ish. That migh get you started. Try messing around a little bit. I use 64 lights for my skylight and 16 for the ground. hope this helps,
Brian
btw this is really only good for outdoor lighting, for ondoor lighting, i try to stick with 3 pt. lighting.

Please check
My (old) website!
# 5 25-01-2003 , 12:30 AM

photo render

Well, the good thing is that from what I hear Maya PLE should do quality rendering (if yo don't mind the watermark).
I have posted a painting studio in the Finished Work section, it is
beginner's work I know, but now I also know I can work on things to improve them.
Thanks everybody for the feedback!:banana: