Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 15-01-2011 , 11:31 PM
The thin red line
Hi Miss Nova, thanks for your help this is as far as I have got with the hand, still need more tweeking.........dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 17 16-01-2011 , 02:03 AM
Administrator
If you look at the knuckle joints they don't follow a straight line, it runs diagonally on a real hand and helps define the shape, it's also a reason for the extreme flexibility of the human hand. Those skin folds on the finger joints I can imagine would be a nightmare to try and modeluser added image I think you're doing really well, and I think this project would be a great chance to learn some anatomy. The nice thing is that if you learn humans the anatomy for other mammals is pretty much the same if you stand them up on two legs so it's well worth it.

There's tons of resources for artists online, the largest site is probably www.3d.sk but theres lots of free sites, cgtalk has a whole forum dedicated to this and I'm sure there's a lot of free sites mentioned in the resources lounge here. Also lots of good books that you can get to keep on the side, but you need refs in addition to your own body which is the best resource as you can squeeze and bend everything to figure it out.

I think doing it the way you're doing it by creating one body part and learning the area as you go along is a better way of doing it than trying to memorize the whole body at once because it's difficult and would get dull. But taking a pencil and doing line drawings of the general structure and different poses before adding a high level of detail would save you a lot of time on reworking the model as the base shape need to be good enough to build on. You don't need great drawing skills, it's just useful to understand proportions and shape before modeling and topology. Try drawing a hand it's a lot more difficult than you'd think, do front, side, fist and extended fingers.

The way we learnt anatomy in school was 1) bones, 2) joints, 3) muscle; you wouldn't need detailed knowledge as an artist in the same way you would in medicine, but I don't know a single med student that didn't draw at this point. And once you understand the bony structure, it will make sense how joints deform on a human model and which muscles would be defined because they contribute to specific movements and where skin wrinkles develop and to what extent.

# 18 16-01-2011 , 02:34 AM
Lifetime Member
looks like a good start dave...I agree with Miss_Nova....the knuckles need adjusting and then you will have it close...use your own hand as a ref....it is quite suprising how your knuckles are displaced from each other!!

keep it up mate you are doing well on a difficult subject

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 19 16-01-2011 , 07:08 PM
The thin red line
Thanks Miss Nova, Bullet
Update on the hand, last image has the thumb nail turn around............dave

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by daverave; 16-01-2011 at 09:17 PM.
# 20 17-01-2011 , 07:06 PM
The thin red line
Nearly there, as my first human body in maya I am happy with it, then next one will be better, Thanks again Miss Nova for your kind help............dave

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by daverave; 17-01-2011 at 07:27 PM.
# 21 18-01-2011 , 08:57 AM
Administrator
You're welcome dave, looks good for a first human with no proper reference material. I'm sure the next one will be even better, with some research on structure and topology, model poses and so on.

# 22 18-01-2011 , 11:06 AM
Lifetime Member
You must have a bloody good mirror...LOL well done mate.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 23 22-01-2011 , 11:44 AM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
hey dave you wanna post a wire of that final shot?

# 24 22-01-2011 , 04:41 PM
The thin red line
No problem, I did not clean up the connection to the feet...........dave

Attached Thumbnails