Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 01-02-2003 , 08:49 PM
Subscriber
Hi,

I found it and it looks like it's really big. This was my FIRST ever model (so please be gentle on critiques). I made it of the castle at the Magic Kingdom (we had to choose from a list of buildings).
I have other images rendered with lighting too.

We haven't really gone into cleanup yet, I have a full blown poly modelling course starting on Monday.

How can I optimize this? (or can I?)

thanks for the help

# 17 02-02-2003 , 04:08 AM
It is possible to get one in... jus a bit of a few tricks to get it optimal for everyone to use the map. Have you worked with gtkradiant? Really is a great little level editor. Our level designer makes the most AMAZING maps. Most (map, props, lighting, texturing) can be built in it and gtkradiant is very easy to use.

It can be scaled down painlessly. First thing I need you to do is get the poly count for me so we know if it can be put into the q3a engine (wolfenstein game).

Go to Display on your Maya menu bar and then go to Heads Up Display and check Poly Count. and list what it shows you in order.

Ignore last I see you got it turned on. Gimme a minute to post a reply critique on it.

# 18 02-02-2003 , 04:17 AM
One way is to go to Polygons on the menu and go to Triangulate. Clean up is a bit more involved. I suggest looking it over and experiment with each then undo and experiment w/the next setting in clean up. This way you see first hand what each does. Remember games use low poly because of frame rates. So try and get the polys as low as possible. Your castle looks great! I really does... not too shabby for a first model.

# 19 02-02-2003 , 05:56 PM
Subscriber
hi tgx,

Thanks for the feedback. I have used gtkradiant a little bit, and I do enjoy it. That is the editor I would like to put this castle into.
I will experiment with those tools you mentioned. Do you think this will even be able to reduce down enough?

Also, is it easier to get this into Half-Life or UT? At this point I'm not picky onto which game I can get it into, I just want to try it out.

thanks

# 20 03-02-2003 , 04:27 AM
As far as gtkradiant goes... you can make it a prefab. I've seen lots of large models made into prefabs. No you shouldn't have much trouble getting the model into it. The major thing you need to do is triangulate so the q3 compiler in gtkRad doesn't spit it back at you with errors. With the manner your model is built... I personally would go through it and take out all unneccesary edges. As long as it keeps the shape you will be fine. In other words ...tear it down to low poly. The castle you built could easily be built in gtkradiant.

As for which is easier... well the honest answer is. None of them are easier. People in forums claim one is better because they are better (more experienced) with that program. All of them need some finessing to get a model into game engine requirements. Of all game engines (in FPS) UT and Q3 are opposites. One is an additive (q3) 3d world and the other is subtrative (UT) 3d world. So the rules to get a model in can be different.

Best advice I can give here is... Find the game editor you want to work with and STICK WITH IT. Don't let anyone push you into another editor because they like it or say it is better. You choose the one you like. After a few months of steady practice each day you will be able to create all the game content you want. If a feature is missing or something is not working right send a bug report or feature wishlist to the creator/company. There are always new updates adding new features and fixing things.

# 21 03-02-2003 , 04:50 AM
Subscriber
Thanks very much for your help. I'll keep experimenting with it.
I have just tried a couple of the video tutorials at 3dBuzz for the UT2k3 level editing class and I'm very impressed. It seemed much easier for me to make a quick little map and try it out. For some reason there seemed to be less hassle.

Actually an excellent feature is he splits the class at one point to Max and Maya. You can choose which one you want and continue from there.

I'm going to try that too, it's working pretty good so far.

thanks again