Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 11-02-2012 , 05:00 AM

Error when creating UV snapshot

So I'm trying to create a UV Snapshot and I'm getting the red error:
"//error:failed to open output file: c:\users|etc.....

help!

I have so much yet to do before tomorrow.

Thanks again

Maya Newbie

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 11-02-2012 , 09:02 AM
Lifetime Member
try and do it again but just save it straight to the desktop as a test

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 11-02-2012 , 11:55 AM
You need to be in object mode or face mode (with faces selected) for it to work.
seems like you're in vertex mode, it might be the cause.
Also what is this .*.tiff in your filename? You might want to get rid of that..

# 4 11-02-2012 , 03:46 PM
@Yoruenko, the .tif is the file name extension that we are instructed to save the file as for the UV Snapshot...I did make sure that selected all the parts as face, and also tried it as object.

@Bullet, I will have to try that and get back to you all.

# 5 07-06-2013 , 11:18 PM
So i was just doing exactly that and came across that same problem..i love problem solving(i recently officially admitted and started majoring in programming as well as art..lol) and so when i came across this i tweaked around and found no solution. i was pretty new with texturing so i thought i just didnt know enough...All answers above i tried and no solution..i went back tried again and looked at the error again. i looked at * specifically. AND BINGO. that was the problem. wherever you save..make sure you dont just write one thing. put a dot then write something else then save. ex: "uvsnapshot.o1" whatever you want you want to make sure there is a dot followed by something else. FYI i signed up just to answer you question!lol

# 6 08-06-2013 , 07:25 AM
Subscriber
You need to be in object mode

It is by my will alone I set my mind in motion
# 7 15-12-2013 , 09:49 AM

: D

thanks man, I just registered onto this site just to say thank you
i was wondering why the ****k it wasnt working,
THanks again user added image

So i was just doing exactly that and came across that same problem..i love problem solving(i recently officially admitted and started majoring in programming as well as art..lol) and so when i came across this i tweaked around and found no solution. i was pretty new with texturing so i thought i just didnt know enough...All answers above i tried and no solution..i went back tried again and looked at the error again. i looked at * specifically. AND BINGO. that was the problem. wherever you save..make sure you dont just write one thing. put a dot then write something else then save. ex: "uvsnapshot.o1" whatever you want you want to make sure there is a dot followed by something else. FYI i signed up just to answer you question!lol

# 8 23-12-2013 , 07:53 PM

thanks man, I just registered onto this site just to say thank you
i was wondering why the ****k it wasnt working,
THanks again user added image

---------

Haha, i see what you did there. And as much as i don't want to burst your bubble, I am not a "man", but in fact, a woman. I know it's not everyday you come face to face(virtually?) with a female interested in both 3d stuff/maya and programming, but alas, here i am. But no problem, glad to help (although i did find another solution, lol).

-SmArtist

# 9 23-12-2013 , 10:08 PM
Just a heads up. I have found the best thing to export out is png format because of the file size. Just my preference. And I generally turn the uv color to red since it seems to provide a thicker and easier line to see when I go over to photoshop to texture normally or with ddo.

# 10 23-12-2013 , 10:16 PM
Technical Director
PNG is also lossless.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 11 18-07-2014 , 01:27 PM
try to save it on desktop at first, if it works, then must be "set project" not correct. So it can't find the folder to save it.

# 12 16-05-2016 , 08:30 PM
I just signed up to say you are correct and helped me solve this issue haha. Any reason why we have to name it like this or if we can change that setting?

# 13 27-05-2016 , 01:06 PM
Wow! Thanks! Yeah, I tend to have the "bug" curse. I was always the person that would follow a tutorial to the "t" and would be the one that would have the stuff that no one else would come across.
Very frustrating when learning, or trying. Especially when someone says, "Well it SHOULD do this, I don't know why it's happening to you." and then just leave me alone with no solution.

# 14 27-05-2016 , 01:08 PM
Oh, I was in object mode. If you noticed, I had accessed the UTE and was working on the UVs and what you were seeing was me accessing the uvs and shells, not the verts or faces as thought.

# 15 14-03-2018 , 05:10 PM

U.V Snap Shot Errors

Hey,
I am having a problem with my u.v Editor where i can still save the u.v snap shot but it does not save the u.v how i have set my tiles out as so it is just saving two lines of my whole u.v map. and everytime i try to see if it has saved the whole u.v map it hasnt. i have tried restarting maya, i have tried snap it while in object mode, while the u.v's are selected and faces ect trying different modes has anyone else had a problem where they can not save u.v maps to make proper texture maps and how do you fix this glitch that seems to be happening?