Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 20-04-2003 , 04:30 AM
Subscriber
Hey pappasmurf.. that logo is looking good user added image.. just it needs some serious painting and density! Well, basically a lot of work before it could be the final logo. I like the general design though. About the 3d work, are you looking for 3d low poly characters, or just images to put as an enviroment bg? Just curious.. i havent made any scene yet.. i definately do have to.. im thinking of modelling a castle on a small island, something quite big so that i can put most of my creatures in it in a certain spot user added image. Let me know if your looking for just renders user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 17 20-04-2003 , 04:38 AM
Hey M, thnx for the comments, I'd like to make the logo 3D, erm, in Maya or something and then render it with some nice lights, that would be so cool user added image

In terms of art for the game, I mostly need some low poly models of things like projectiles (different types of "stuff to shoot"), mabey a couple of badies (a UFO or something would be nice I think user added image ) and some simple images to use as "pickups" (health, shields, and mabey a "super" pickup)

So other than that, I just need two or three backgrounds (one for the menu and one for "ingame"), and thats about it

As I said earlier I'm going to keep it pretty simple so it doesn't take me ages to finish

Cheers

# 18 20-04-2003 , 05:16 AM
Ok I've been drawing the logo in Maya but I've run into some difficulties with the text, I've never tried using text before...

I created the text, and it gets inserted as a "curve", and I then extruded it and converted the extruded object to polys..
The problem is, it has no TOP and BOTTOM surfaces... as you would expect.

What can I do?

Here's the project file

Last edited by PappaSmurf; 20-04-2003 at 05:18 AM.
# 19 20-04-2003 , 07:24 AM
Subscriber
Hey man, i have to actually go.. but i wil view it tommorow user added image. Um, as for your stuff... when you say you need models of things like projectiles etc.. do you mean you need the .mb files? Or you just need images of them? If you need the mb files, then do you have an exporter for this game you are making that we can get a hold of? I would be happy to maybe whip you up some ammo and stuff if it is in a game user added image. As for the logo... i think it would be better if you left it 2d and made it nice in photoshop..i will see what you have though tommorow user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 20 20-04-2003 , 07:31 AM
Ok thnx M

If you want to have a play with what I've done with the logo so far, I have Illustrator vector files which can be saved as high res PSP files and then converted to anything.

In terms of the models, because it's a 2D game, all images are just loaded from .bmp files

# 21 20-04-2003 , 08:26 AM
Here's an "ingame" screenshot I just took

user added image

I've loaded the image provided by Ultragames as the environment bg, the only reason being that he provided a high res version of it

The images used for the spaceship and the projectiles are probably just temp

That projectile probably wasn't the best image to choose, but you will notice the translucency I have managed to achieve using alphamaps, I'm quite proud of getting that working so well user added image

Thats all for now

# 22 20-04-2003 , 08:32 AM
Hmm, this seems interesting now. I don´t have much time as of this week ... but I´ll surely see what I can do when I have more free time.

Excellent proyect.

# 23 20-04-2003 , 01:45 PM
Hey, I've been thinking about the logo

An animation for the logo would be really nice

The JKII logo animation on this site - https://www.lucasarts.com/products/outcast/
is pretty cool, and something similar could be done with the logo I've made so far and I think it could look really good

Whats the best way to go about making a nice animation?
I know Flash is really good, anyone here good at simple animation? Either in Flash or Maya?

The two planes could fly in, and the ring could spin around and the words "space impact" appear, and then the two vertical lines could fly inwards, seperating the two planes

Ahh dreaming is fun user added image

# 24 21-04-2003 , 09:20 AM
No news, except I just wanted to say that I've changed my development environment, I'm now developing in Windows, and things are running much more smoothly for now, which means I'll probably be able to run higher resolutions and more graphics :banana:

user added image

# 25 23-04-2003 , 04:30 AM
If you guys are still there, I've thought of another piece of art which would be of great use - graphics to use as console images.

This is hard to explain but in the game, there's the big area where the gameplay takes place, and then on the top and bottom of the screen, there's a small area where the players info will be displayed.

This includes the players health, their score, their weapon information (selected weapon, ammo left)...

An example of what I'm talking about is in the game StarCraft, at the bottom of the screen is a sort of a console of sorts, and depending upon what race you are it looks different (the terran is all robotic, the zerg is all alien etc.)

Does that make sense?

EDIT: here's a reference image
user added image

The zerg one
user added image

I would only need one type of course (prefererably one which looks all robotic)

Last edited by PappaSmurf; 23-04-2003 at 04:33 AM.
# 26 23-04-2003 , 05:28 AM
Here's a screenshot which shows where the "console" will be.

Although, it will be bigger than that, you get the idea
user added image

# 27 24-04-2003 , 05:13 AM
Subscriber
Okay i'd love to start helping with this wen i lose tomorrow in the critter tournament.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 28 24-04-2003 , 06:26 AM
Cool user added image

Hey, good luck in the tournament, and you too M user added image

Another thing I need is some nice images to use as mouse pointers.

The mouse pointer in the game Unreal 2 is cool, something like that would be really nice.

Cheers

Last edited by PappaSmurf; 24-04-2003 at 06:28 AM.
# 29 24-04-2003 , 09:01 PM
i might be able to squeeze out a console. you need it to take up the whole right side of the screen? and will there be subdevisions of it or just the main boarder andyoull take care of the rest?

# 30 24-04-2003 , 10:16 PM
Simply Maya OG
Starcraft KICKS ASS! user added image

- Hybrid